Your Opinions on IP.Board 2.2

Guest Brandon C

100% agree. security fixes/updates should always be free. and don't stop releasing security fixes/updates for older versions(2.0.x, 2.1.x). More IPB get hacked means more current and potential customers away.

I agree that 2.1.x should continue to receive security updates, but a line must be drawn somewhere. People still running 1.3.x and 2.0.x can't expect security updates forever.

I dislike the personal profiles - but thats just me.

As for the licensing, well I think the cost of a new license is a bit extreme, but the renewal options seem better. I'd certainly be interested in discounts available to customers with a few licenses. I can see that the license changes seem to be gearing IPB to a more enterprise environment, and I think its going to cause alot of smaller sites to go elsewhere, so I can see some disruption to the IPB mods and skins market for sometime too.

I liked the way this was all announced, and the proposed changes in the pipeline seem excellent for keeping the public and the customers more informed on IPS and its work....well done IPS :)

I think the personal profile do inprove the community aspect of the IPB forums. It does the much needed upgrade to the buddies system.

A quick question which would be good to find out, does it mark topics / post which are made or your friends partisipated. It would be a great enhancement of this feature. If not i'm sure a mod could be made, or I could make it :P

A few things I've been thinking about:

1) Is it possible to use the old layout for profile pages? The new design is a bit busy for my liking.
2) The toggle side bar doesn't seem to load correctly in Safari.
3) vB has nice little effects for its popup menus. It's a shame IPB doesn't.

Other than that though, it looks great (I'm starting to like the new text editor, though I was a bit pessimistic to begin with). I'll probably buy a license this weekend. :)

Oh, that's cool, I thought you had to buy a new one.

Only new customers need to buy a new license. As already stated, if you already own a yearly license, you actually now only need to pay $50 a year for continued support, which is $19.95 cheaper than before.

I dislike the personal profiles - but thats just me.

As for the licensing, well I think the cost of a new license is a bit extreme, but the renewal options seem better. I'd certainly be interested in discounts available to customers with a few licenses. I can see that the license changes seem to be gearing IPB to a more enterprise environment, and I think its going to cause alot of smaller sites to go elsewhere, so I can see some disruption to the IPB mods and skins market for sometime too.

I liked the way this was all announced, and the proposed changes in the pipeline seem excellent for keeping the public and the customers more informed on IPS and its work....well done IPS :)

With your comment about the effect on the mods and skins market, I dunno, this might be the perfect time to kick off their long planned IPSB Contributor reward plans ;)

At first, I thought everything was a bad idea. The new profile portal, the new RTE, etc. But after I thought about how useful it may be on my own forums, they grew on me. I'm starting to like the new RTE.

The only thing I have a problem with now is the use of way too many drop downs everywhere now. Way too many clicks.

1) Is it possible to use the old layout for profile pages? The new design is a bit busy for my liking.

Yes, this can be toggled on or off from your ACP.

2) The toggle side bar doesn't seem to load correctly in Safari.

True, and this has been reported.

3) vB has nice little effects for its popup menus. It's a shame IPB doesn't.

IPB 2.2 is a refinement upgrade more than a complete makeover. Look for a new skin design in v3.0. (w00t)

I like the new profile but can't help wishing there were more forum features for members instead of all these ACP features only available to me. I don't allow attachments so I'm not going to experience this new system, or downloads. One of my favorite additions is to make a poll only topic.

I wanted more control over signatures, but despite requesting since 1.3 it's never happened.

It's ok but expected more given the time it's took to create. For example an improvement on the Portal could have been added, a statistics center, contact system. Just some features not only I have requested.

• 4 months later...

I like the new profile but can't help wishing there were more forum features for members instead of all these ACP features only available to me. I don't allow attachments so I'm not going to experience this new system, or downloads. One of my favorite additions is to make a poll only topic.

I wanted more control over signatures, but despite requesting since 1.3 it's never happened.

It's ok but expected more given the time it's took to create. For example an improvement on the Portal could have been added, a statistics center, contact system. Just some features not only I have requested.

VB has this option and its still really tought to control. Especially if an image is hosted offsite. The only way to really control it is to not have them. Members still find ways to circumvent this ability. There is a mod for this for IPB 2.2 though.

component system need to be easyer like joomla com system that need no code change

and also some builtin mods like menu system must be a not builtin mod .

I'm pretty sure a better component system is coming. Patience is virtue. And I have no idea what you said after that.

One thing I do agree on is that the forum structure/button layout and modding abilities need to be refined a bit more. I think some of this though is what I call the Vbulletin effect. So many people are so used to using Vbulletin, anything else just seems confusing unless they spend time with it.

As for admin options, I know I have found most of them useful. One thing to watch for is member overload though. Members tend to like things simple. And if they start to get too many features offered to them it has a tendancy to scare them away. Or they consider it bloat. If anything I think there need to be more on/off abilities. This way members and admins can adjust things easier w/o having to edit templates or coding and still have the desired effect for their forums that they are looking for and not have to re-edit if there is a forum upgrade.

The profile system, although still young, should expand. Drag and drop moveable modules would be nice. ;)

Anywho I'll post more ideas and suggestions later.

I personally think for the licensing options, we should have a system where we can pay in installments, as much as I love IPB, I can't afford to pay $150 for a license in one go, that's a lot of money. Some people might think nothing of the odd $100 here and there, but for those of us who struggle financially to keep running the things we love.. I think it would be a good idea.

I personally think for the licensing options, we should have a system where we can pay in installments, as much as I love IPB, I can't afford to pay $150 for a license in one go, that's a lot of money. Some people might think nothing of the odd $100 here and there, but for those of us who struggle financially to keep running the things we love.. I think it would be a good idea.

And whats to say that after the first payment, IPS would see the rest of the money? Its not very reliable at all. All or nothing. Its the only way to do it. Or they would likely be losing out of alot of money. Not everyone is unreliable, but its enough to cause problems.

Archived