Your Opinions on IP.Board 2.2

Guest Brandon C

Vote in the poll by expressing your opinions for the new Invision Power Board 2.2, and express your opinions in a post in this thread as well on what you think about the new features (what your favorite and least favorite new feature(s) are),

the new licensing structure, and the new pricing structure for Invision Power Board 2.2

Nice demo of multi-choice polls ;) Though I see you didn't include the pricing option of "I'm not a fan of the pricing, but can understand the necessity"

Nice demo of multi-choice polls ;) Though I see you didn't include the pricing option of "I'm not a fan of the pricing, but can understand the necessity"

I would have, but now I can't edit my poll... Maybe someone can add that in there for me. But it's not a big deal, they can just state it as other. Also, if I could've, I would've put "I don't have a favorite feature in IP.Board" and "I don't have a lead favorite feature in IP.Board" if I had more poll choices.

I personally believe that the licensing structure is really more realistic. Perpetual licensing really doesn't increase revenue for them. This is their full time jobs and as they grow as a company they will need their pricing structures to reflect their growth. This is a business venture. Look at what ModernBill did.

I personally believe that the licensing structure is really more realistic. Perpetual licensing really doesn't increase revenue for them. This is their full time jobs and as they grow as a company they will need their pricing structures to reflect their growth. This is a business venture. Look at what ModernBill did.

I completely agree, I believe that it will enhance the product offering and the support services they provide, and by adjusting the licensing and pricing structure, it will provide for more competitive prices, and they have done a great job with it. :)

if it costs this much to own ipb(which i am not against cause i got a lifetime license :P ) imagine how expensive ipd might be lol :|

Compared to Groupee's EVE community system, which starts at around $400, IPB is still cheap. And with the standard license, renewal is actually going to be cheaper by $19 a year. That adds up to $38 after two years, $57 after three years, etc.

Ohhhh man I just love the new My Space style profile portals!!!! I can't wait for this I think it's the best thing to happen to IPB since well IPB started! As for the pricing I think it's OK but I really like the renewal rates very fair if you ask me! IPB 2.2 looks to be amazing!

Please, don't bring up ModernBill in my presence. So, anyone know of any alternatives to ModernBill? :P

I like mostly all of the new features so far, can't really think of one that I dislike tbh. As far as the new pricing goes, I like it mostly since it won't affect me due to the fact that my license is good until February.

I'm the same as you. My yearly license is good until July of 2007, so I should (hopefully) be upgraded to the new standard license free of charge, and then pay $50 a year for continued support.

I'm the same as you. My yearly license is good until July of 2007, so I should (hopefully) be upgraded to the new standard license free of charge, and then pay $50 a year for continued support.

That's what I will probably do, although I will do it more for the upgrades than for the support. I rarely need to use the ticket system any more.

Personally, they should create a new package where 'support' is not included.

I can say that I'm an advanced IPB user and I don't really need that 'support', I don't even care if they don't reply to tickets because... well, simply, I haven't asked them a single (paid) support since paid support started. If I really need help, I ask people I know personally to help me, and which is usually not IPB related.

I don't want to pay for "support" that I don't need but I AM willing to pay for MAJOR version upgrades.

And regarding the MINOR upgrades/updates, it should be free for life, that is if "minor" includes "security fixes".

I will not pay U$25 bucks for a minor stuff or a security fix!! But I'll pay U$70.00 bucks for a MAJOR version upgrade/update for IPB.

See the difference? See where I'm getting at?

No offense, just want to emphasized.

Personally, they should create a new package where 'support' is not included.

I can say that I'm an advanced IPB user and I don't really need that 'support', I don't even care if they don't reply to tickets because... well, simply, I haven't asked them a single (paid) support since paid support started. If I really need help, I ask people I know personally to help me, and which is usually not IPB related.

I don't want to pay for "support" that I don't need but

I AM willing

to pay for MAJOR version upgrades.

And regarding the MINOR upgrades/updates, it should be free for life,

that is

if "minor" includes "security fixes".

I will not pay U$25 bucks for a minor stuff or a security fix!! But I'll pay U$70.00 bucks for a MAJOR version upgrade/update for IPB.

See the difference? See where I'm getting at?

No offense, just want to emphasized.

Completely understand. It might be nice to suggest that perhaps they incorporate a new "One Off" upgrade outside the support system. It would be good in the sense that users of the option can't actually get any support, so aren't chewing that resource, but provide a source of income when otherwise they wouldn't. Say like $5 for a minor version (not security update, to be honest those should be free) and $10-$20 for a major upgrade (like 2.2-3.0 or something). It's some random thoughts. Suggestions even. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Completely understand. It might be nice to suggest that perhaps they incorporate a new "One Off" upgrade outside the support system. It would be good in the sense that users of the option can't actually get any support, so aren't chewing that resource, but provide a source of income when otherwise they wouldn't. Say like $5 for a minor version (not security update, to be honest those should be free) and $10-$20 for a major upgrade (like 2.2-3.0 or something). It's some random thoughts. Suggestions even. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Yep, something like that. I hope IPS consider these options, hey, that is still income - paying for $5+ for a minor version right? Then for major versions, that's another source of income. That way, IPS is also giving more options to all their users. If they don't want to upgrade, then it's their choice, they don't pay. There are points in time when we really don't need to update our IPB, but with upcoming new pricing scheme, we have to pay $25/6-month just to get security updates, and I strongly agree, security fixes/updates should or must be free.

Since as it appears they're targeting businesses now, they might as well remove the Standard option and chop it down that way.

Regular User License:
for 6-months, you'll get support, free upgrades, etc. after that you have the option to:

A) Buy a Minor Update
B) Buy a Major Update
C) Buy Customer Support Access
D) put other stuff here....
E) ...

So, for people like me, I don't need to pay U$25 bucks just to get a security fix(!). That $25 pricing is going for the customer support than updates/upgrades, coz, how many times in a 6-month period are we going to expect a [1]security fix; [2]minor update/upgrade; [3]major update/upgrade?? Very few times, right? Then those are actually "free" upgrades. That $25 is actually for the customer support, which to professional IPB users, the don't need anymore.

Now, instead of giving free upgrades "bundled" with the $25/6-month "support package", they can charge for those minor and major upgrades/updates separately for people who only needs those and not the support.

Still, again and again, security fixes should or must be free-for-life <-- seriously. If other IPB users dont get it, then they continually get hacked/cracked/exploited, they will one day, surely move to another forum app instead of buying IPB. Getting hacked actually moves customers away.

Sigh.. really... a big sigh

Archived