Reorder Forums

Guest The Law

I don't know if there is a way to do this already, if there is PLEASE let me know:

When you want to reorder a set of forums, why must you reorder all of the subforums along with the main forums? It's so time consuming, I want all my subforums to stay the same... and just reorder the main forums on the page.

Like now I have to do it, and if I want to do it I have to go through about 300 forums + subforums, and there's no reason that should be the case. When you are reordering a set of forums, you shouldn't have to worry about the subforums attached to each one.

Do people know what I"m talking about? lol

+1

I recommended this, that you should only order the DIRECT CHILDREN of the forum you selected.

As opposed to ordering all direct children, then children of those children, and so on.

+1. I agree completly. On my board I have at least 4 different levels and it quickly becomes overwhelming for admins!

I agree too, it is currently a nightmare to perform such an operation.

I would also like to see a drag/drop version of this using ajax instead of using the current numbering system ;)

Acctually, I'd rather just a javascript reordering system and then a "click to save" button. No AJAX needed.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but it pretty much covers a suggestion I wanted to make. :ermm:

I don't know if I should be depressed that this issue has been around for so long, >_< or hopeful because it has been around for so long. :thumbsup: :lol:

Using AJAX to be able to drag them and reorder would be nice, provided it were optional. :)

Ya that would be nice.
I think my users would like to be able to move their favorite forums to the top and move the ones they are least interested in to the bottom.

I am glad people agree with you, there are others with whom some didnt agree earlier.
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=273322&hl=

I am all for it. Many people have more than 100 forums and it is v difficult to manage them, just like it is to manage RSS feeds.
There is no search feature in rss feeds ... maybe I will start another post for rss feeds search optiuon.

Using AJAX to be able to drag them and reorder would be nice, provided it were optional. :)

I was talking just in the ACP since that's what we were talking about. If it were for each user I think it should definitely be optional because I don't like the idea of putting effort into ordering your boards all nice and someone on a whim changes it. <_<

I was talking about re-ordering stuff in the Admin CP and not wanting it to list every single sub-forum in existence. I'm basically fully agreeing to the ideas in Post #1.

I'd be ok if people want to re-order categories to their own liking as long as there is an option to dis-allow certain ones, such as an Admin/News type category which should be immovable at the top (for example).

I was talking [b]just in the ACP[/b] since that's what we were talking about. If it were for each user I think it should definitely be optional because I don't like the idea of putting effort into ordering your boards all nice and someone on a whim changes it. <_<

Sorry, I also meant in the ACP. I agree with that, I like the way my forums are ordered.

I got the idea from being a teacher in a Moodle course - by default it comes with the option to drag stuff around in the course view with AJAX, and it's very handy.

Archived