Ability to reset password just providing email

Guest ellawella

Instead of requiring the account name to reset your password on the Lost Password Form, why not provide the option of just requiring the email address? On countless occasions I have registered some random account on some board just to access something and when I need it again I have invariably forgotten the account name. And there's no way just to have the info emailed back to me. Of course, my stupidity is partially to blame here, but what the hey. :)

Instead of requiring the account name to reset your password on the Lost Password Form, why not provide the option of just requiring the email address? On countless occasions I have registered some random account on some board just to access something and when I need it again I have invariably forgotten the account name. And there's no way just to have the info emailed back to me. Of course, my stupidity is partially to blame here, but what the hey. :)

Because if somebody has access to your email account, they have access to your account information.

The only time a username is actually more secure then the email I suppose, is if the forum allows you to change the display name.

So you know, converage handles email login, so I suppose it could be a on/off feature

This would be rather inconsistent in my mind though...you login with a login name and reset your password with an email address? I think the ability to change the converge settings to login with username or login with email address basically covers this, at least from the administrator side.

I do suppose a "Email me my username" feature could be useful, and would make more sense in this case (I've coded one as a custom modification before).

• 5 months later...

I agree that being able to reset the password by e-mail address would be a very useful function. Because very often - if the user has forgotten his/her password, s/he has also forgotten his/her login name if it is different than the display name. And on the forums you can see only the display name, so no chance of getting the account back if you don't remember your log-in name (which actually acts like a second password).

I would suggest that users should be able to enter either their log-in name or e-mail address - which one they remember - and IPB would find the account searching in both profile fields. I don't really see why the "inconsistency" is bad here. :)

All I know is I don't want people to try to reset my password by knowing which email I used.

Then you can register a secret e-mailbox especially for forums.

Although I don't really see the difference between the anoyance of receiving e-mails reminding about your username or offering to reset your password.

Archived