IPB 2.1.5 Released

Guest IPS News

If a thread of yours was deleted around the time IPS went paid, that would have been +/- two years ago (long before I came here). This board is quite large as it is? You can't expect it's unreasonable for a company to prune some older, irrelevant topics at times.

In any event, as has been stated, if you hold a perpetual license (which you had the option to purchase at the time you purchased your license), you get updates for life. If you get the yearly license, you do not.

The 2.1.6 update package includes manual instructions to patch, which will realistically work for just about any 2.1.x version as long as you are careful about applying the patch. You simply cannot upload the included files overtop of existing ones.

I do apologize for your troubles. But I think it is a bit unfair to take out your frustration on IPS when IPS is indeed living up to their end of the contract you agreed to, don't you? I mean, if someone has a problem with the license they are agreeing to when they purchase the software, they could make it known before they purchase and save everyone a headache years down the road right? :unsure:

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a thread of yours was deleted around the time IPS went paid, that would have been +/- two years ago (long before I came here). This board is quite large as it is? You can't expect it's unreasonable for a company to prune some older, irrelevant topics at times.

I see no reason to delete it - it's plain text and storage space is not an issue. Normally old stuff is moved to an archive/read only category. I have a feeling that these posts were deleted to protect themselves, because lots of things that was promised/said back then is not what we see today.

If you hold a perpetual license (which you had the option to purchase at the time you purchased your license), you get updates for life. If you get the yearly license, you do not.

Thats what I don't think was the case when i bought it. I don't think the unlimited one even existed when i bought my lisence. I remember i asked about whether the year was only about technical support, or also only a year of updates. I am very sure i got told that the year was about techical support - update were not restricted, since I purchased a licence - the licence would not expire. Remember that at this time IPB had just been FREE. So that answere wouldn't sound strange at all.

The 2.1.6 update package includes manual instructions to patch, which will realistically work for just about any 2.1.x version as long as you are careful about applying the patch. You simply cannot upload the included files overtop of existing ones.

I can only find manual instruction for the latest security update. The previous ones have only patched files. I'm running 2.1.1 btw, so differences in files are probably big.

The differences between the changes for 2.1.1 and 2.1.6 are almost non-existent. I am referring ONLY to the changes for the recent security update for which there are manual patch instructions. In other words, you can apply the changes in the manual patch instructions to a 2.1.x board, and they should work.

In fact, the code is *nearly* unchanged since 1.x (at least for the html icons part).

I am referring ONLY to the changes for the recent security update for which there are manual patch instructions.

Yes, i don't doubt that will work fine, but it's another fix i need more, since this is the one i got hit by: this one

And theres no manually instructions, so i would need to compare the files, and i assume the differences in these files and my 2.1.1 files are more than just a security fix.

Hello,

In that case I'm not sure what to tell you - everyone is in the same boat...if they didn't upgrade (either because they didn't want to, or can't), that falls a little outside of our hands. :unsure: We DID provide the patch.

Besides - it sounds like if you can access those patches, you can access the complete upgrades, no? Why not do a full upgrade?

I'm a little lost as to your situation - you say you bought a perpetual license, yet can't access upgrades. If that is the case, my best recommendation is to email management to see if you can get the situation sorted out. If you CAN access the upgrades, (and you don't have a support contract), upload the files from the 2.1.6 full upgrade and run http://yourdomain.com/upgrade/ to upgrade your board.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived