Fast New Topic

Guest cvxdes

Idea.. For people with dialup, this helps out a hell of a lot...
Mabe you could somthing similar to fastreply?
Here, i photoshopped it:
FastNewTopic.gif

Also, On the subject, You should improve fastreply.. Add more functions...
Another photoshop:
FastReply.gif

Hope its concidered! :D

I definately agree with your second idea; allow for rich-text editing in Fast Reply. It could be a per-user option, like it is with the post screen. As for the first idea, I know MyTopix allows for "Qwik Topic," and while not terribly useful, it does save one screen.

Well, If your on dialup (I was when i posted this) its takes about a min to load.. Then i type, brings me to a "Thanks" screen, then sends me to the topic.

If you make this liks fast reply, the javascript will open it, then it could go straight to the topic..

Could make it so you can turn it on/off in the ACP.

Idea.. For people with dialup, this helps out a hell of a lot...

Mabe you could somthing similar to fastreply?

Here, i photoshopped it:

--(image removed)--

Also, On the subject, You should improve fastreply.. Add more functions...

Another photoshop:

--(image removed)--

Hope its concidered! :D

How about this...

"FastPost"

It opens up a box, "Post as New topic" checkbox would open up "Title" and "Description". If it's a new topic, the submit button changes to "Add new topic", otherwise it says "Add reply". Also the smilies I can see being useful, but not the RTE.

The "Thanks...." redirect pages can be disabled in the ACP. :D

Though think of normal everyday (joe) members. Some people may want the "Thanks" pages. The admin and members may not be good with IPB, also the admins "support 'license' " may have run out when someone asks him to remove the "thanks" screens. Good idea though.

The whole point of fast reply is its supposed to be fast.

WYSIWIG might be nice, but for those with dialup its pretty slow.

That's why I suggest it be a per-user setting, like on vBulletin. You can choose between Standard, Medium, and full WYSIWYG editing.

[offtopic]
I'm imagining IPB being like the Titanic.. Each additional option being an extra passenger. So many options that the thing just sinks from being overbloated. I'm not dropping any hints or anything, it was just a comical thought that I had and thought I would pass it along. :lol:
[/offtopic]

I think using the Fast Reply, but adding the ability to make it act as a New Topic function would be rather cool.

But the Titanic didn't sink from being overloaded. It struck and iceberg. :rolleyes:

[offTopic]
Actually, the Titanic didn't sink at all. It was its sister ship, the Olympia. The Olympia had had an accident some time before, and the White Star Line couldn't claim the insurance, so they set up a conspiracy and set out to switch the two ships with the intent of hitting the iceberg and claiming the insurance money.

The actual Titanic was scrapped some time after, having never set sail.
[/offTopic]

I think Fast New Topic would be a good idea, but only if it was stripped down, like Fast Reply is now. No Rich Text, no extras.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay ... this has been said many times, but for the noobs here it is again ... Fast Reply is meant to be exactly that ... a fast, simple way to reply to a topic. The current Fast Reply loads quickly. Putting the RTE will be a waste of time and a waste of bandwidth. If for some reason you can't remember that is for bolding then click Add Reply and use the RTE.

As for the Fast Topic I am partial ... although leaning towards a no verdict. There have been petitions for new topic and reply functionality to be added into the lofi-version. If that is actually done, then you dail-up people (no offense, I am one myself during the summer) will have a really fast version to use with no graphics to slow you down.

Keith

Archived