Mass PM...

Guest one50bpm

i would still like to see a mass pm...

to do it the fake way, i had to get my programmmers to make me a php script that fetched all the usernames into one list, then i pasted all 10,000 into the pm screen, and bam, didnt work to well...
i would rahter have something like bulk email, which is really nice, but for pm's.

Mass Private Msn to All or selected usergroups? Is this possible, you guys should have had it since the first verison :)

Sometimes people don't have an invalid email saved.

Well for those who do have an invalid email saved, you get a bounceback and can take the proper action (delete, move to another group, etc)

You're going to get bouncebacks anyway with those who have invalid emails saved and have it set to notify them of new PM's.

Why not just send them the message as a whole to begin with then that way those who don't want to hassle with logging in to read it will see it and that may encourage them to log in anyway.

Also, why worry about saving invalid emails? I'd be worried about saving valid ones instead.

Firstly you don't need to be rude.

I'm pointing out that you don't need to have a mass PM system to PM all the members when you could just use the postoffice to do it.

What I said is not stupid, it's very well thought out and it's a very smart thing to do. You have different types of members, but it's easy to break them into 2x2 groups.
First set, those who do and do not visit the forums after signing up
Second set, those who do and do not have PM notifications emailed to them.

Those who visit often and have PM notifies are the best, the others are progressively worse. If they visit but no PM notifies, then they could have an account using a no longer valid email address. Those who don't visit but with notifies are not too likely to visit to get a PM. Those who don't visit and don't get notifies are the worst, their PM boxes fill up and sit there forever taking up storage space, adding onto the database burden and effectively slowing your forums down.

The post office, you can select to send it to EVERYONE.. Either way (PM notifies sent out or using the postoffice), you're going to get some bounce backs. You have the greater likelihood of getting the infrequent member to start visiting again if they get the message in full and can see what you have to say, especially if it's something that happens to catch their interest.

Again, no need to be rude. If you disagree with me, hey that's fine. But that doesn't mean that my logic or my way of thinking is "stupid" or that I'm "nuts".

Firstly you don't need to be rude.

I'm pointing out that you don't need to have a mass PM system to PM all the members when you could just use the postoffice to do it.

What I said is not stupid, it's very well thought out and it's a very smart thing to do. You have different types of members, but it's easy to break them into 2x2 groups.

First set, those who do and do not visit the forums after signing up

Second set, those who do and do not have PM notifications emailed to them.

Those who visit often and have PM notifies are the best, the others are progressively worse. If they visit but no PM notifies, then they could have an account using a no longer valid email address. Those who don't visit but with notifies are not too likely to visit to get a PM. Those who don't visit and don't get notifies are the worst, their PM boxes fill up and sit there forever taking up storage space, adding onto the database burden and effectively slowing your forums down.

The post office, you can select to send it to EVERYONE.. Either way (PM notifies sent out or using the postoffice), you're going to get some bounce backs. You have the greater likelihood of getting the infrequent member to start visiting again if they get the message in full and can see what you have to say, especially if it's something that happens to catch their interest.

Again, no need to be rude. If you disagree with me, hey that's fine. But that doesn't mean that my logic or my way of thinking is "stupid" or that I'm "nuts".

alright fine, your not nuts, but you seem to be the only one that doenst want this.

I never said that it wouldn't be a nice feature to have available, especially for those who want to use it. I merely pointed out the benefit of using the post office instead.

ok true, but sometimes there arent big enough message to be mass sending email, people get annoyed that way alot, so why email when you can send a pm, that way it wont annoy them.

Send out a monthly or bimonthly email to be like a "ping" of all the email accounts.

As accounts with newly invalid emails bounce back, you can do (whatever) with the associated account.

Just make sure to make a comment about the true purpose of the email being to check the email accounts, and that you're only tossing in something of interest to read, etc.

That way people won't get annoyed (not too often), it's a reminder of your site, helps you make sure that people are keeping their accounts up to date (especially if you tell them to update their email in order to get their account restored), so on.

Win win with it. :)

I agree that the *option* to mass PM should be there by default, but at the same time I can see many advantages to using emails instead - I don't think IPS should make this choice for board admins though as both have their purposes and if PMs were actually obsolete we'd just stick with the email via board feature...

I would love to see this implemented, but at least this feature is available as a mod - there are many good features that are not mods or standard features as yet :(

hmm... mass Email/PMing 32000+ members... not something I want to do regularly without some kind of trash control.

I mean, if there IS mass PM, then these PMs should have an expiry-date too. Otherwise the database will get very huge. Esp for accounts that are orphaned.

One of my points in favor of using the mass-emailing over the mass PMing.

With the emails, you WILL get bouncebacks if the account is expired/nonexistant/whatever, then you can do whatever you want (ie, deleting it, moving it to another member group, etc). With PMing, only those 'orphaned' accounts that have PM notify on will give a bounceback.

Even those who have PM notify with valid emails can still lead to unread PM's...

Again I'm not a heavy fan for the idea, however I think that it is something that should be preincluded for those that wish to fill their dataBade up with stuff that will never be read.

Archived