Let posters indicate if they waive copyright

Guest RogerKni

Let users indicate in their placard the degree to which others may quote-and-post their remarks elsewhere. This would be set in their control panel, not in every individual post. (Unless specifically overridden in that post?)

Some users would want to explicitly OK every request, some would give an OK to only certain sorts of postings (eg non-commercial uses), and some would allow unrestricted quoting.

(This idea needs refinement--I'm not familiar with the nitty-gritty of this topic.)

EDIT: Some users might have a setting that said in effect: "You may quote freely, just notify me by PM with a link to the place you've quoted me.")

This permission-info might better be located in the Member's profile, rather than his/her placard.

I don't see how this can work .. Basically your wanting the users to be able to control the quote button on each of their posts .. Nice idea but its not enforcable ..

Anyone can just copy and paste the text into their message without even using the quote button ..

For instance I can

Some users would want to explicitly OK every request, some would give an OK to only certain sorts of postings (eg non-commercial uses), and some would allow unrestricted quoting.

I did not even need to use the quote button ... And even if you remove the BBCode Quote tag I can still do it in plain text ..

________Quote RogerKni ___________

As you can see there is no way you can stop someone from quoting .. People can put a copyright tag in their signature in every post but its not enforceable by that member ..

I don't think he meant prevent it from happening, just provide an indication.

RogerKni, this is really quite a specific feature since it would confuse the majority of users. It is already fully possible using custom profile fields :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Planet-Ed: I should have been more specific: by "post their remarks elsewhere" I meant on other sites, in books and articles, etc., not on the same board where they were posted. People are often inhibited from posting a quote on another board because sometimes the persons who are quoted get huffy if they weren't asked or informed first. My idea is that there would be some little icon or acronym potential quotees could add to their posts, or their placards, or (at least, but least helpfully) their Member's Profiles, to quickly indicate to would-be quoters whether or not they'd make a stink about it, and whether they'd like to be notified.

EDIT: Ideally, this little icon or acronym or whatever would become effectively standardized and used throughout cyberspace.

Rikki: I am probably the least technical member here--I'm just a user. I don't have any idea how and who should be making the changes I suggest--all I can do is toss them over the transom and let you folks sort them out. I'm sorry if a few of them aren't matters for Invision to deal with. Moderators should feel free to delete any such non-Invision-relevant posts of mine. (But maybe it's not a total waste of space for them to be posted, since perhaps they might inspire a potential mod-maker.)

Archived