Joining a Groups...

Guest SLicK CaPoNe

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the "groups" feature, but not sure if the latest version uses it (excuse my ignorance). I remember phpBB had a feature, where users could go and subscribe to a group (even multiple groups), and access certain pages just for being a member of that group, instead of typing the password EACH time, and making bunch of different 'groups' to give different people different access; all that is time consuming. I really loved that feature about phpBB. EACH user was unique. I hate the idea of having users type in passwords, and sometimes that could head in the wrong direction as well. People could give out passwords, and grant access to people you wouldn't want to allow in a certain section.

I think this feature would be a time saver, and allow EVERY user to participate in groups you (the admin) give them access to.

Let me know if I'm not being clear :devil: :thumbsup:

Just to give you an idea, this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/groupcp.php

You can even select someone to be in charge of that special group. They look at who wants to join the group, and they can either accept or reject them. I'd totally love that. That way, each person can view the right pages, and know EXACTLY who else has access to that section. It's all about privacy and access control. By far, I think it's the best idea. You can write discription for every user, and the user can be part of more than one group. This way I don't have to sit behind the computer and setup one account after the other just for ONE person. Each person's needs will be different.

I guess I've rambled for too long lol...

Your input is much appreciated~

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the "groups" feature, but not sure if the latest version uses it (excuse my ignorance).  I remember phpBB had a feature, where users could go and subscribe to a group (even multiple groups), and access certain pages just for being a member of that group, instead of typing the password EACH time, and making bunch of different 'groups' to give different people different access; all that is time consuming.  I really loved that feature about phpBB.  EACH user was unique.  I hate the idea of having users type in passwords, and sometimes that could head in the wrong direction as well.  People could give out passwords, and grant access to people you wouldn't want to allow in a certain section. 

I think this feature would be a time saver, and allow EVERY user to participate in groups you (the admin) give them access to.

Let me know if I'm not being clear  :devil:  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This seems much like the phpBB feature. I really don't think users need to select their group, if they need access to anything special the Admin can take care of it. If you need the feature for something specific Invisionize is the way to go ;)

So, otherwise, invision themself don't have that feature included??? Ehhh, paid subscription and it doesn't include that feature. I think it should be part of the bundle. you're making me WORK, man........WORK lol Time is something I really don't have much of, so that's why I thought I should ask.

I gotta go through some real sh!t to get this going :(

I don't get why you do this. You're not reading what I'm saying. I said "review/grant" system which is right there for you. You (the user) request to be in a group, and an admin (or a person you put in charge) reviews the 'request sheet' and grants access to users; they can simple accept/reject the user's request.

Do you get it now? It's something invision lacks, and I don't wanna sit here and go in my admin panel and ADD another group TO FIT THAT person's needs. If invision is a way to GO, then why doesn't it have that feature?

I'm sort of curious why a 'paid' service lacks a feature so great!!!

Users don't really get to select their group. I (or a person I give power to) gets to allow him/her to be a part of the group...u get what I'm sayin?

Go to this link: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/groupcp.php

You request to join a group, and they have to accept before you're ACTUALLY part of the group.....it's not a stupid idea! Please think about what you're saying and reevaluate what you just said, Jason.

]"if they need access to anything special the Admin can take care of it. If you need the feature for something specific Invisionize is the way to go "

Yes, but that other route is much MUCH better. If you really read my suggestion. Once it clicks in your head, I'm sure you're going to be like "OHHHHH MAN, THAT'D BE SOOO COOL"...

HAHA later~

So, otherwise, invision themself don't have that feature included???  Ehhh, paid subscription and it doesn't include that feature.  I think it should be part of the bundle.  you're making me WORK, man........WORK lol  Time is something I really don't have much of, so that's why I thought I should ask.

I gotta go through some real sh!t to get this going :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The subscription manager does allow you to do this. You setup a subscription and select which group holders of that subscription get moved to. Then you set it up so that users can (or have to) select a subscription package on registration. I'm not saying what you're suggesting is a bad idea, just that it wouldn't benefit me and I personally would like my members to be placed into a single group and then either through subscriptions or manually move them into other groups if needed. As long as you could have the option disabled easily I'm for the suggestion :)

I really think you should go to http://www.invisionize.com/ and look at the mods there. As for your impatient/aggressive demeanor, for someone who is appearently not a paid member of the IPB software, it seems a bit rude to be acting so mean spirited towards a software package that may be lacking a few unnecessary features that you think are nice in phpBB, but overall is one of the best forum packages available. Last I checked on phpBB, it wasn't anything to brag about, and I tend to look often. I'm less than impressed with it.

If you need any further assitance, I recommend posting in the IPB support forum and not here. If you cannot access that forum, it means you have not activated your customer status on your account. If you are not yet a paid customer, you should go ahead and pay for the software so that you may receive additional support and be able to access the support forums.

I'm confused as to whether you do have the subscription or want me to code?  In the beginning you made it sound like it is part of the package, and towards the end it sounded like you like the idea and want me to code it?

Please advise...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This feature already exists to an extent through the Subscription Manager. This forum is for IPB suggestions so if you would like to code it that would be great but that would be counted as a modification rather than feature.

EH.....I checked that out, but that still requires me to make bunch of groups. You are totally off-coarse. I am looking for something much more simpler. What I'm looking for is very very simple. Just take a look at phpBB. Their coding allows members to participate in more than 1 group. I don't even need to setup 100 different GROUPS. They can be in 'members' group and still be a moderator, and be able to view a certain page which is totally invisible to someone else, while another moderator can't see the same thing as the other person. It's totally specific to user(s). I'm telling you, that's the only thing I like about phpBB, but everything else is totally cool with invision. If a mod was created, I'd really be hyped and join the bandwagon. I have checked out prior releases, and so far I have not seen anything close to what I'm asking for right now.

I hope someone here understands what I'm looking for.

Dude you really should open up a topic in the IPB support forum if you want to continue on this matter since you want support.

Also what you are looking for is a mod to allow selected people to add/remove permissions and not user groups. User groups don't decide what forums someone can see.. It's the permission masks.

I also just took a reglance at phpBB.. I have forgotten how sadly lacking it is. You have to install mods to do some of the most simplistic of functions. Changing the users post-count, COPPA, SMTP port, closing/locking a topic when you make a post to it, etc..

What version of IPB are you trying to use anyway?

This seems much like the phpBB feature. I really don't think users need to select their group, if they need access to anything special the Admin can take care of it. If you need the feature for something specific Invisionize is the way to go ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think you should go to

http://www.invisionize.com/

and look at the mods there.  As for your impatient/aggressive demeanor, for someone who is appearently not a paid member of the IPB software, it seems a bit rude to be acting so mean spirited towards a software package that may be lacking a few unnecessary features that you think are nice in phpBB, but overall is one of the best forum packages available.  Last I checked on phpBB, it wasn't anything to brag about, and I tend to look often.  I'm less than impressed with it.

If you need any further assitance, I recommend posting in the IPB support forum and not here.  If you cannot access that forum, it means you have not activated your customer status on your account.  If you are not yet a paid customer, you should go ahead and pay for the software so that you may receive additional support and be able to access the support forums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry if I sounded mean, but I'm just trying to clarify my needs. I will check that out. But for the time being you guys should really look into that. I am not bragging about phpBB. It is noWHERE near what invision is about. Invision is, by far, the best forum software out there. Once it offers that feature, it'll be VERY cool. I would pay for the service, only if that feature/mod was available. Till then, why pay for something I don't need? It still is a suggestion, at the same time if it exists, then that's even better. But it looks like it does not exist. So, no thanks...I'm not about to pay 200 bucks for something that doesn't fulfill my needs. Once you find (if you ever find) that mod, then feel free to contact me.

Thanks~

$199 is for the lifetime license, $69.95 is for the 1 year license. If you get the 1yr license, then even after the year, if you don't renew, you are still considered to be registered just without support. (ie, you don't have to stop using the software and you don't have to go back to having it show you as using the trial).

The subscription manager, which is available to paid members of the software, can give you some extra benefits. You might consider purchasing IPB in order to have access to it.

Dude you really should open up a topic in the IPB support forum if you want to continue on this matter since you want support.

Also what you are looking for is a mod to allow selected people to add/remove permissions and not user groups.  User groups don't decide what forums someone can see..  It's the permission masks.

I also just took a reglance at phpBB..  I have forgotten how sadly lacking it is.  You have to install mods to do some of the most simplistic of functions.  Changing the users post-count, COPPA, SMTP port, closing/locking a topic when you make a post to it, etc..

What version of IPB are you trying to use anyway?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$199 is for the lifetime license, $69.95 is for the 1 year license.  If you get the 1yr license, then even after the year, if you don't renew, you are still considered to be registered just without support.  (ie, you don't have to stop using the software and you don't have to go back to having it show you as using the trial).

The subscription manager, which is available to paid members of the software, can give you some extra benefits.  You might consider purchasing IPB in order to have access to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If for some reason the 'subscription' feature isn't the the feature I'm describing, will I get my money back? Because I don't wanna use it if I can't have this feature. Right now I have the 'trial' version, and the subscription feature seems to want to be linked to a group once they establish a subscription. My aim is to subscribe to a group (permissions in other words). I want to be able to just give them permissions, not assign each to a different group. I hope that makes enough sense. Cuz I believe you and Jason only know what I'm talking about.

Member groups - defines abilities and default masks that each member of the group will have

Permission masks - defines who can see forums/topics, read posts, reply, start new topics, upload and per forum.

Let's say you have Member Group alpha, and it has the default permission masks of blonde boys and redhead boys.

You have 20 members that are a part of that group (alpha), AND you decide to give 3 of those members access to masks redhead girls and bald girls. They're all part of the same *group* but 3 can see more since they have additional *masks* given to them.

So what you want is a mod that can let "charge members" give/remove specific masks from different forum members.

Also which version? 1.0? 1.1? 1.2? 1.3.0? 1.3.1? 2.0.0? 2.0.1?

Subscription Manager: That's more for charging members for elevated access to the forums, which affects groups only unless you have a custom module to do other functions for you. For what you want, it wouldn't benefit you. But you should still purchase IPB.

$199 is for the lifetime license, $69.95 is for the 1 year license.  If you get the 1yr license, then even after the year, if you don't renew, you are still considered to be registered just without support.  (ie, you don't have to stop using the software and you don't have to go back to having it show you as using the trial).

The subscription manager, which is available to paid members of the software, can give you some extra benefits.  You might consider purchasing IPB in order to have access to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does this mean that after one year I still have the possibility to download patches and upgrades?

To my understanding, the version that you have purchased is the one that you can always download and get upgrades for (ie, if you get v2.0.0, then after your license expires, you can always get 2.y.z, but not v3.0.0).. I'm not 100% sure on that or how it works, just that you can get what you're entitled to, but nothing beyond that.

I'm down for that :)

I'll purchase it when I have time.  So will someone in 'support' help me find a mod for that 'charge members'? 

and, to answer your question...I'm currently running v2.0.0 (trial).

And thanks for most of your help, homie :)  ...greatly appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You asked if there is a way to charge, well the answer is yes, if you want peopel to change usergroups and pay in your ACP, there should be a section for "subscriptions", you can set up subscriptions for various things and so forth.

Archived