Show me yours and I'll show you mine...

Jimi Wikman

7 hours ago, Jimi Wikman said:

Of course, I don't mind ๐Ÿ™‚
Ask away!

ย 

My question is regarding Forums.

I want to create a community for a music group that has 7 members. The first part of the forum I want it to be called MEMBERS, and in this section I would like to create 7 subforums named after each member, but displayed with boxes with their pic in each one, similar to your set up here (but there will be 7, possibly 8 if I have to create an extra one for it to display properly).
Could contain: People, Person, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Adult, Male, Man, Dog

But then below the MEMBERS section,ย  the grid of boxes, I would like the rest of the FORUMS displayed normally, like this.
Could contain: Page, Text, Person

I was just curious if this type of setup is possible. Thanks for your help Jimi or anyone else that can help answer this.

On 9/20/2024 at 5:45 PM, Jimi Wikman said:

This is my playground:
https://j332207.invisionservice.com/

ย 

Where is yours so I can see what you are playing around with ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW,ย  I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with the menu on the side or at the top, but after seeing your layout, I think I will go with the side setup, it does look really nice.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Face, Head, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

3 hours ago, SC36DC said:

I want to create a community for a music group that has 7 members. The first part of the forum I want it to be called MEMBERS, and in this section I would like to create 7 subforums named after each member, but displayed with boxes with their pic in each one, similar to your set up here (but there will be 7, possibly 8 if I have to create an extra one for it to display properly).
Could contain: People, Person, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Adult, Male, Man, Dog

But then below the MEMBERS section,ย  the grid of boxes, I would like the rest of the FORUMS displayed normally, like this.

I was just curious if this type of setup is possible. Thanks for your help Jimi or anyone else that can help answer this.

BTW,ย  I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with the menu on the side or at the top, but after seeing your layout, I think I will go with the side setup, it does look really nice.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Face, Head, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

ย 

Now that I know the proper terminology, basically, is it possible to show part of the forum in GRID view and the rest in TABLE view? I'm assuming not.ย 

Out of the box, you can't do this as far as I can tell, but I am sure it can be done with a plugin somehow.

You could hack it also if you want by creating a custom block (or multiple) and then add them in the widget box above the forums. This would just make them as shortcuts to the actual forums that would be in the forum list below, but it could be a way forward until someone build the app at least.

16 hours ago, SC36DC said:

@Ehrenย Could something like this be possible? To use GRID for a section of the forum and TABLE for the rest or another part?

7 hours ago, Jimi Wikman said:

Out of the box, you can't do this as far as I can tell, but I am sure it can be done with a plugin somehow.

You could hack it also if you want by creating a custom block (or multiple) and then add them in the widget box above the forums. This would just make them as shortcuts to the actual forums that would be in the forum list below, but it could be a way forward until someone build the app at least.

I appreciate your response and suggestions and ideas. Thank you Jimi.ย 

8 hours ago, SC36DC said:

@Ehrenย Could something like this be possible? To use GRID for a section of the forum and TABLE for the rest or another part?

Unfortunately no, not with CSS anyway.

Every other i-data element can mix and match styles by changing the ipsData--ย class (eg.ย ipsData--table, ipsData--grid, ipsData--wallpaper, etc), but the Forums use different HTML for the different layouts, so that concept doesn't apply there.

45 minutes ago, Ehren said:

Unfortunately no, not with CSS anyway.

Every other i-data element can mix and match styles by changing the ipsData--ย class (eg.ย ipsData--table, ipsData--grid, ipsData--wallpaper, etc), but the Forums use different HTML for the different layouts, so that concept doesn't apply there.

I appreciate the reply and info.ย 

7 hours ago, Gary said:

Thatโ€™s actually a great example of version 5 and its capabilities, @Jimi Wikman. Well done mate! How long do you think itโ€™s taken you to get it to this?

Youโ€™ve given me some good ideas to implement in my community once the software is available for us all.

I was actually just playing around for a few hours for this. It is really that simple (or powerful). I already had my color scheme and the logo, though, so the rest was just adding some dummy content and playing around with the page editor.

You can easily do this in a day or two at the most.

9 hours ago, Marc said:

That looks pretty slick, Jimi ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Thank you Marc ๐Ÿ™‚

51 minutes ago, Mike G. said:

The site looks amazing.ย Fantastic work, @Jimi Wikman! Thanks for sharing.

Mine's down at the moment, but if I get it renewed I'll share it here as well.

Ping me when you do, I love to see other people's setups!

Very nice and I'll explore it further to get inspired! Thanks for sharing. I haven't been anywhere near that far yet with v5.ย 

One thing I noticed is that now that the side panel is dark, your logo no longer shows.ย 

4 hours ago, Jimi Wikman said:

I was actually just playing around for a few hours for this. It is really that simple (or powerful). I already had my color scheme and the logo, though, so the rest was just adding some dummy content and playing around with the page editor.

You can easily do this in a day or two at the most.

And a testament to all the hard work put in by the Invision Community team!

Once again, a job well done mate.

21 hours ago, Jimi Wikman said:

Ping me when you do, I love to see other people's setups!

My license was renewed, so pinging @Jimi Wikman!

Domer Domain (Alpha) - A community for Notre Dame football fans that I've been reviving and growing over the last few years.

Fan Clubs (Alpha)ย - This is a passion project of mine with the goal of bringing communities together around sports, gaming, and entertainment.

1 hour ago, Mike G. said:

My license was renewed, so pinging @Jimi Wikman!

Domer Domain (Alpha) - A community for Notre Dame football fans that I've been reviving and growing over the last few years.

Fan Clubs (Alpha)ย - This is a passion project of mine with the goal of bringing communities together around sports, gaming, and entertainment.

Looks great Mike!!

• Management
On 9/21/2024 at 1:45 AM, Jimi Wikman said:

This is my playground:
https://j332207.invisionservice.com/

ย 

Where is yours so I can see what you are playing around with ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey Jimi, would you be interested in a little blog to kind of talk us through what you did, and what you used to achieve that? I think it'd be a great way to showcase your skills and also what is possible in v5 without having to dig too far into custom code and complex ACP stuff.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Hey Jimi, would you be interested in a little blog to kind of talk us through what you did, and what you used to achieve that? I think it'd be a great way to showcase your skills and also what is possible in v5 without having to dig too far into custom code and complex ACP stuff.

That sounds interesting ๐Ÿ™‚

I could make a few videos to add as well, perhaps?