Backend possibilities with Invision?

Janus Buch

Hi everybody.

I'm not sure where to ask thes questions or where to get the information, but I'm a member of a forum/online community run on invisioncommunity, so I know the capabilities very well (from a users perspective), but I don't know them at all from a backend perspective. 

I run a local business and I wanna start building the community side of things more. For this, I would need something like invison, but can invision do the following (and where do I find more info):

1) Run automated email campaigns 

2) Have people sign up for free stuff (lead magnets for example)

3) Integrate with stripe?

4) Have some kind of procedure to sign a legal documents (contracts)

5) Be used to plan in person meetings?

6) Can it be used as a general CRM?

7) Can it be used to manage my employee's?

8) If I use Invision and do some costume programming to integrat spreadsheets forexample, what happens you update, would I need to start all over?

I hope some of you can point me in the right direction

7 hours ago, Janus Buch said:

1) Run automated email campaigns 

What do you define as "automated email campaigns"? Drip campaigns? If so, the software does not build drip campaigns. We do have an automated notification system which notifies users of activity they have opted-into though. Our software also allows for manual email campaigns to be sent out users.

2) Have people sign up for free stuff (lead magnets for example)

Commerce can facilitate free trials and items at no cost, if that answers your question.

3) Integrate with stripe?

Yes, Stripe is a payment method in Commerce.

4) Have some kind of procedure to sign a legal documents (contracts)

This is not part of the software. With that said, we do have the ability to "agree" to your Terms of Service and Guidelines. If you make a change to these items, users are required to re-attest their agreement.

5) Be used to plan in person meetings?

Yes, the Events system can be used to announce/give details about in-person meetings/events.

6) Can it be used as a general CRM?

It is not a CRM system but depending on your needs, it may fill some needs there as members/customers would be stored in the system with their contact information or any fields you require. However, there are no elaborate CRM features.

7) Can it be used to manage my employee's?

Invision Community has elaborate permissions and logging for your staff administrators and moderators. However, I am not quite sure what you're looking for here. If you can elaborate on the need, we may be able to provide more information. 

😎 If I use Invision and do some costume programming to integrat spreadsheets forexample, what happens you update, would I need to start all over?

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this. What/how you program integrations would detail exactly the answer to that. I can say that we have a major new release coming out relatively soon in version 5. This is a new approach to allowing third party customizations to our software so would require any applications/plugins developed for version 4 to be re-done. 

With that said, on minor releases, the upgrades would depend on what has changed in the software and how your application/plugin integrates with that.

Hi Jim. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

What do you define as "automated email campaigns"? Drip campaigns? If so, the software does not build drip campaigns. We do have an automated notification system which notifies users of activity they have opted-into though. Our software also allows for manual email campaigns to be sent out users.

Drip campaigns could be one thing, that would be awesome. Is it possible to integrate third-party apps to do this?

Can I send out mass emails to people who are in the system, so manual drip campaigns basically?

Would it be possible to have automated lesson content for students. So I have some content that all students should get, but at a certain point after they join. So after month 1 you would get video 1, after months 3 you would get video 2 and so on. Would a thing like that be possible to automate?

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

Commerce can facilitate free trials and items at no cost, if that answers your question.

Could I make a landing page with a "sign up for a free e-book"-lead magnet and then have these people in the system to follow-up with?

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

It is not a CRM system but depending on your needs, it may fill some needs there as members/customers would be stored in the system with their contact information or any fields you require. However, there are no elaborate CRM features.

Could I use it to remind me to send stuff to students at specific times for example?

32 minutes ago, Janus Buch said:

Drip campaigns could be one thing, that would be awesome. Is it possible to integrate third-party apps to do this?

We currently integrate with Zapier so you can setup connections with external services to do this, like MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc... I am not aware of any third party providers which offer a third party application within Invision Community to do a drip campaign though.

34 minutes ago, Janus Buch said:

Can I send out mass emails to people who are in the system, so manual drip campaigns basically?

Yes. You can send out email campaigns in our software to your users. Segmentation of users via filters in the software are also available.

34 minutes ago, Janus Buch said:

Would it be possible to have automated lesson content for students. So I have some content that all students should get, but at a certain point after they join. So after month 1 you would get video 1, after months 3 you would get video 2 and so on. Would a thing like that be possible to automate?

That is in the realm of a drip campaign so not currently possible without some form of integration.

35 minutes ago, Janus Buch said:

Could I make a landing page with a "sign up for a free e-book"-lead magnet and then have these people in the system to follow-up with?

We do not really have a landing page/lead system. However, our Pages Database module has a ton of power. At it's root, it's basically a form which collects data and then can also display that data. It would require some form of customization of the Pages templates to work like a landing page and lead system but could be possible.

37 minutes ago, Janus Buch said:

Could I use it to remind me to send stuff to students at specific times for example?

We do not have a reminder functionality at this time.