Steps to move from Windows to Ubuntu

I am moving my community to its new home - a Linux home!

I already have the database on the new server, and am wondering the steps to take to move the community.  My data storage method is file system, but I want to change that.

This is what I assume I should do.  Is this correct?   

1. Back up files and database
  2. Switch old server from file system to MySQL and wait for it to finish.
  3. Change my hosts file to point to new server
  4. Install IPB on the new server
  5. Verify the community comes up - will this harm anything having two communities on the same dbase?
  6. Change the public DNS

Update!

How do I know when the files have been moved from file system to MySql?    It's been hours and I only have 100mb of data or so.  

I am still confused about the order/necessity of the following:

• Installing IPB pointing to the existing database
  • Copying over files
  • Moving DNS

I don't really care about downtime, I just don't want to lose existing data.  I can even pause all database updates for up to an hour if needed.

This one error really bugs me.  🙂

Could contain: Text, Computer, Electronics, Laptop, Pc

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You may find this helpful

I did.   Very helpful...   Seeing as I am already using the new database, all I need to do is take it offline and copy all files over.   I just hope the Windows -> Linux move doesn't mess anything.

Will try this tomorrow on a fresh mind.  Thx Marc.

Posted (edited)

I've run into a problem following the guide:

• If you are using .htaccess for friendly url rewrites you may also need to adjust the path in the .htaccess file or download a new one from the admincp > Search Engine Optimization > Friendly URL sub-tab.

I do need this file (it did not exist on my windows server) but I cannot login to my community.  https://elon.report is being incorrectly redirected and I'm not sure what to do in Ubuntu.

Edited by Elon Report

24 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

You should be able to login to the ACP without a htaccess by going to just domain.com/admin.  Once logged into the ACP, you can download/upload it. (Just make sure after it’s uploaded, it’s named “.htaccess” where the period is at the start of the file name.  

Ok.  That means something is misconfigured in Plesk.   If I go to https://elon.report/anything   I get redirected.