Delayed Lock & Saving Content After Lock

Mack_au

Idea - The ability to set a delayed lock of a post, with a notification to people in the thread or currently typing that it will lock in # number of minutes/hours.

Another issue, that people who are posting or have posted before a thread gets locked, that they will completely lose whatever they typed when that happens. There should be a 'sandbox' or a window in a thread that keeps content despite the thread being locked for a certain amount of time to enable people to repost it in another thread.

• 7 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/2/2023 at 12:10 AM, Marc said:

Im assuming its just the notification you are looking for here? I ask as the ability to actually delay locking is already present

Thanks for the response. Been a while since I remembered making this post and came to check. 😄

To answer, no.

You can only delay a post lock by editing the opening post or when making a new thread. You can't do it on a reply or by using the moderator action button, because you don't get the full administrative/moderator options on a reply to a thread.

I don't want to do that (mostly because the main type of deal I want to use a delay lock are news articles with a forum thread that generate automatically from a database entry and I really don't want to mess with these automatic OP posts.

I want to make a post in a thread and be able to set a delay lock, with a notification in the new post (although a notification isn't quite necessary as I could just say "it will lock in xyz minutes").

Also, it wouldn't help if they try to post a reply after the lock has gone through, so I would want to add some kind of post-lock attempt to post page that gives a person the opportunity to save their post or copy it. Sort of like how if you try to edit a wikipedia page, but someone else has pushed an edit to the page before you, it gives you an edit conflict page with a copy of what you tried to post.

And/Alternatively, there could be an option somewhere to simply allow posts to be made by anyone with permissions, within a certain amount of time of a post being locked.

Thanks.

Notes: Lock options for a new thread or editing OP:

Could contain: Page, Text, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone

What shows when using the "Lock Thread" option in a thread:

Could contain: Page, Text

Edited by Mack_au