Handling Images Site Wide

Rich N

In setting up a Photography based site these are somethings that have come up that maybe could be looked at in Version 5 if not already. 

Lightbox - Do not allow full image view, it exits the site to a new window on 2x or 3x click. Rather just close the Lightbox. 

handling EXIF data - when we upload a image I imagine what currently happens is it captures the EXIF data to database, and resizes image, thumbnails etc. In the process it strips the EXIF data from the image. Would like to see that original EXIF data not be stripped or be re-written to those images. 

Site wide Image protection - I know it's very easy to get images from sites Id like to see it not make it even easier with the ability to drag to desktop or save image as and just save it to local computer. Placing a fully transparent image.png over the image would help with some of that. 

So we accomplish, not sending people off of our site in a new window with just an image and not making it even easier to steal an image. OF course you can look at source find the image path and grab it... but at least the EXIF info would be there. 

Just some thoughts.. 

1 hour ago, Rich N said:

handling EXIF data - when we upload a image I imagine what currently happens is it captures the EXIF data to database, and resizes image, thumbnails etc. In the process it strips the EXIF data from the image. Would like to see that original EXIF data not be stripped or be re-written to those images. 

Check in System->Overview->Image settings to ensure you arent stripping those

OK I Installed ImageMagick, Which Invision Auto Switched me to it from GD and I see the switch now for Stripping EXIF or Not. Which is On by Default. With this option on or off, All EXIF is stripped from the Images that I download off the site after uploading. The EXIF info is on the image within the gallery of Invision and shows ok as it did with GD.

With the setting on or off. I didn't compare to see what and if it stripped anything, I believe it only strips a few things like GEO from mobile phone images, not sure what else. 

So, either way the EXIF is fully stripped when the image is uploaded and written away. 

and Im ok with it stripping sensitive data, as it should. (Like Location and Geo data) and maybe it does not tested but it only writes to the database and can be viewed in the gallery. Perfect. 

But the images that are saved, they are fully stripped. No doubt I think it works completely as intended with the EXIF, it writes to the database. But it would be great that we write that same stripped of sensitive data back to the image EXIF as it stores them. 

Edited by Rich N