I am having trouble upgrading to the latest verison.

When I log into IPB and try to upgrade I get the following error:

Could contain: File, Webpage, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

If I update my php to 8.0 and go to my forum I get the following error:

Could contain: Page, Text

Please help!  I seem to be in an endless loop here.  I cannot upgrade to the latest version because I need 8.0 and if I upgrade to 8.0 I cannot load the current version of the forum to upgrade!  

What do I do?

You waited too long to do an auto upgrade.  Make sure any third party resources you are using are updated and support PHP8.  Then you need to download the IPB files from your client area. Switch your site to PHP 8.  Make sure your PHP8 version has all of the required modules.

Upload the latest IPB files to your site, and run domain.com/admin/upgrade. 

So I'm a little confused as I've never done anything like this.  Do I need to download this file here:

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text, Person

Which if I click that I get a file called "ips4.php" or do I need to go to the client area and download "Invision Community.zip"

Thank you. 

Ips4.php is a script that will tell you if your server has the required PHP modules installed. Run it AFTER switching to PHP8. (You want to test the new version of PHP, not the old one.)

Once you see everything green, you can upload a set of the IPB files from the Client Area.  Once those are uploaded, run the upgrader at domain.com/admin/upgrade. 

4 minutes ago, robbalvey said:

Is there someone I can pay to do this for me?  I had initially paid IPB to set up my original forum but I don't seem to see that as an option anymore. 

Yes. You can find a list of people available for paid work on this page: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

I'm also on that list, and I often help with upgrades. If you want, you can send me a PM with more details about your situation.