Dead space on posts

Hello,

after I have updgrated the latest version of IPS, users have reported there is too much "blank space" in short posts (like one text line only). Example:

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Electronics, Screen, Webpage

Is it possible to do something about this?

Thank you!

White spacing was eliminated 15 years ago by initiative from IPB "doctor" Brandon Faber. But in 4.x it was back. Has been mentioned several times, but IPB does not seems to care..
The avatar field might contribute, but that's because IPB hasn't realized that custom fields should be placed above the signature and, in the same way, should be possible to hide by members.

Edited by Canis

16 minutes ago, Canis said:

White spacing was eliminated 15 years ago by initiative from IPB "doctor" Brandon Faber. But in 4.x it was back. Has been mentioned several times, but IPB does not seems to care..
The avatar field might contribute, but that's because IPB hasn't realized that custom fields should be placed above the signature and, in the same way, should be possible to hide by members.

This isnt whitespace as such. It's the location of the links on the post item. Whether those items are just after the post content or at the bottom of the block, that block would remain the same size. It would either be white under the links, or white above it, as the post bit on the left is still present

27 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This isnt whitespace as such. It's the location of the links on the post item. Whether those items are just after the post content or at the bottom of the block, that block would remain the same size. It would either be white under the links, or white above it, as the post bit on the left is still present

I already forgot, how was it before this update? I mean what changed in the latest versions? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Canis said:

If this isn't annoying whitespace, then what is it?
In the past I have suggested implementing Brandons solution again, to no avail.

You would need to point this out, so Im aware what it is you are referring to. 

The size of the block is as high as either the user section on the left or the content section on the right. Whichever happens to be larger. There is no way to remove the white section you are referring to there, without making those 2 uneven. If you take a look at the original example there, what would you propose is in its place? Of course you can move the links and the signature up, but that would simply move the white space below it

23 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You would need to point this out, so Im aware what it is you are referring to.

Sorry for the confusion, maybe it's not technically correct to call it whitespace.  I'm referring to unnecessary spaces and lineshifts/paragraphs the poster has made before and after the post content. This is a common problem. Brandons solution stripped them off. Release 3.x.
I'm aware of the 3. party plugin, but this also strips double lineshifts inside content, which is not a good thing. Might be intentional by the poster.

2 hours ago, Canis said:

Sorry for the confusion, maybe it's not technically correct to call it whitespace.  I'm referring to unnecessary spaces and lineshifts/paragraphs the poster has made before and after the post content. This is a common problem. Brandons solution stripped them off. Release 3.x.
I'm aware of the 3. party plugin, but this also strips double lineshifts inside content, which is not a good thing. Might be intentional by the poster.

I'm afraid, this is not what is being discussed here. The OP here is referring to a recent change which move quote / mark as solution / etc... from directly under the content to the bottom of the existing container, as Stuart outlined.

Think what you mentioned about intentional vs unintentional is a very hard thing to determine programmatically. However, you're more than welcome to create your own Feedback topic about that in our Feedback forum for further evaluation.

Sorry for my confusion, but can it really be that difficult to strip of spaces and linefeeds before and after the post content?
This is a real problem that requires unnecessary scrolling. Which the subject of the current topic does not.

Why was Brandons solution dropped in 4.x?

On 4/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, Jim M said:

However, you're more than welcome to create your own Feedback topic about that in our Feedback forum for further evaluation.

After 19 years as a customer I see that as more of a black hole.

15 minutes ago, Canis said:

Sorry for my confusion, but can it really be that difficult to strip of spaces and linefeeds before and after the post content?
This is a real problem that requires unnecessary scrolling. Which the subject of the current topic does not.

Why was Brandons solution dropped in 4.x?

After 19 years as a customer I see that as more of a black hole.

Please feel free to post this up as a suggestion.

With regards the dropping of an item, this is not the case. 3.x and 4.x are incomparable. They are essentially completely different products.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I am pretty sure that it was released in April 2015, as a soft release and officially released about 2 months later.

Yep. According to my internal forum changelog still in August 2014 was only a test of 4.0 available (IPS4 Preview Site).

13 minutes ago, Canis said:

You can laugh, but it was through our and others support of 2/3.X IPS was made.

I can't see why removing unnecessary empty space is a thing of the past.

Nobody is saying it's a thing of the past here. What we are saying is if you wish to see something of this nature appear in the future, please post this up as a suggestion. I understand what you are saying in terms of the older products, but they are indeed different products. 4.x was a rewrite entirely from the ground upward, and simply doesnt have the function you are looking for there.