Size limit in the gallery AND forum

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

I have set up a limit of 300kb per image in the forum. I set that limit for all the groups allowed to post except the admins, who have a 500 kb (but I am the only admin so it is not an issue).

I noticed that, in the upload folder, some files uploaded are way bigger and I suspect they are uploaded to the forum. Is there a way to also limit the file size in the forum? If not, is there a way to add a setting or even a plugin that will resize the files as needed if something too large was uploaded?

Edited by Carole Asselin

Sorry, I realize that I said I set the limit in the forum, but that is for the gallery. 

Since there are files in the upload folder that are much larger than that (like 3MB), they are obviously not in the gallery, which is why I suspect members are uploading larger files in the forum. Is there a way to set a limit for file size in the forum too, just like I did in the gallery?

These would be on a per usergroup basis for files. So edit any group and select the content tab. On there you will see "maximum storage for each submission". You cannot set it per file, only per content item (per post). 

With images, you can set from System>Settings>Posting, by setting the maximum file size to save

On 2/20/2023 at 9:30 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

These would be on a per usergroup basis for files. So edit any group and select the content tab. On there you will see "maximum storage for each submission". You cannot set it per file, only per content item (per post). 

With images, you can set from System>Settings>Posting, by setting the maximum file size to save

So there is no way to set the allowed file types if they are all set as images?

In the forums, a user gets a quota that is applied to the entire account (it’s set based on their user group).  Whatever that value is… they can have files up to that size. For example, if that quota is 10MB… it could literally be 1x10MB file or 20x0.5MB files. 

There is no way to set an upload limit per file within the forums. The limit is based on the user’s total limit. 

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, I dont understand what you mean there. This isn ot related to allowed file types. What I'm saying is you can set the size of file people can upload on forums. It doesn't matter what type of item you upload, as it's a limit on the storage they can use on that post.

I was just thinking that allowing only jpg files would use less space than allowing png format for the same images. I tell my members to only post jpg, but some either forget or don't read, so the same image takes more space. And yes, I did set a max size per post, but I was hoping it would be simpler to not allow png files than to let the user realize that their image is too big for the allocated max and then realize it was because of the file format.

I can live with that. I just thought it would have been simpler if that option was available.

Thank you.