Mastodon / Twitter Style?

Chris027

I've used IPS for several years now and love it. However, I still don't know everything about it or what's possible. I recently setup a Mastodon server and realized that managing another "thing" sucks. 

I'd love for IPS to have an integrated timeline / activity stream where people can comment and read what's happening. Perhaps this is alreayd available and I don't know it. I know we can posts status messages and view activity streams, but they are separate items. A Mastodon / Twitter syle capability would be really nice. Plus, striking while the iron is hot, is always advised :~)

If I could place this ina. block at the top of the activity stream, that would be really cool.

Could contain: Page, Text, Cutlery, Spoon, Person, Face, Head

This is difficult to do in a forum as it's designed to have logically segmented areas.  

• Category  1
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
    • Forum 3
  • Category 2
    • Forum 4
    • Forum 5
    • Forum 6

Content is placed in the best matching container and is organized that way.  With Twitter...  it's just a stream of data with no organization or purpose to it.  

If you want to achieve something SIMILAR...  you could use the Fluid view which brings all containers together in one view.  

For example...  https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/...  click on the Fluid view...

Could contain: Text

As you noted, you could also use the Activity Stream...  but again, just having a simple box to start typing does not place the content in the appropriate section of the forum.  So unless you simplify down to just a single forum, with no categories, this does not really work.   

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

This is difficult to do in a forum as it's designed to have logically segmented areas.  

• Category  1
    • Forum 1
    • Forum 2
    • Forum 3
  • Category 2
    • Forum 4
    • Forum 5
    • Forum 6

Content is placed in the best matching container and is organized that way.  With Twitter...  it's just a stream of data with no organization or purpose to it.  

If you want to achieve something SIMILAR...  you could use the Fluid view which brings all containers together in one view.  

For example...  https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/...  click on the Fluid view...

Could contain: Text

As you noted, you could also use the Activity Stream...  but again, just having a simple box to start typing does not place the content in the appropriate section of the forum.  So unless you simplify down to just a single forum, with no categories, this does not really work.   

Thanks Randy, I'll look at th fluid view. 

I think a simple box to start typing, would place that content in the user's profile page where the feed is. People can obviously post on those pages already. 

I'm learning that categories are much less important on some forums, due to the awesomeness of the activity stream.