System Log Bug Finding

Emediate
Go to solution Solved by Marc,

Can anyone offer any advice on how to hone in on what is causing this repeated error please?

The log entry was triggered by a guest (Guests)

9 minutes ago
The URL of page the error occurred on was XXX/forums/?app=core&module=system&controller=ajax&do=instantNotifications&csrfKey=c6de1da7848b11c08fe2cbdcf8fd3020&notifications=1&messages=0
Error: Call to undefined method stdClass::language() (0)
#0 /home/XXX/public_html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(109): IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->init()
#1 /home/XXX/public_html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(110): IPS\Dispatcher\_Front->init()
#2 /home/XXX/public_html/forums/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#3 {main}
Backtrace
#0 /home/XXX/public_html/forums/init.php(1015): IPS\_Log::log('Error: Call to ...', 'uncaught_except...')
#1 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler(Object(Error))
#2 {main}
LOADED HOOKS
applications/donate/hooks/forceGuestAccess.php
applications/feedback/hooks/FrontDispatcher.php
applications/templates/hooks/TemplateNode.php
applications/donate/hooks/memberSource.php
applications/autowelcome/hooks/validatehook.php
applications/deletemyaccount/hooks/dmaFURL.php

That's a fairly obvious solution, and you can guarantee that one of those is the cause.

The problem is, in at least one case (see my other thread), it won't uninstall. 

The other problem is the errors are about 30 mins apart. So it's a very time consuming process to test them one by one, and each of those are critical features of our site so I'm not keen on spending a day with them all disabled. Was hoping to hone in on something, somehow, to narrow it down a little.

I am familiar with each of those hooks, other than:

applications/templates/hooks/TemplateNode.php

This one I don't know anything about. Any ideas what it is or could be linked to?

I find it a touch frustrating that each of these addons are sold in the Invision Marketplace, but as soon as there is a problem you are at the mercy of the addon author, which IME, they are quick to blame another addon author, or simply respond with "I can't reproduce it on my system". Which is all good and well, but maybe it is leaning towards IPS needing to do more testing and compatibility checks before they become available in the Marketplace?

• Solution

We would not provide the testing for a 3rd party authors products. While we have guidelines that must be followed for submission, we simply would be unable to do what you are suggesting there. If we were to do something like that, it would be quicker to write every item into the core, which of course we also wouldnt do. 

While I understand its time consuming, it is a 3rd party item unfortunately. Our advice would be to use only what you absolutely need. If you are running quite a lot, then you will indeed get times where one conflicts with another for some reason.

With the uninstall issue, you would also need to contact that author