S3 Migration Issue With Special Characters In Files Names

zyx

A while ago I moved gallery images over to S3 (from file storage), and whilst it was mostly a smooth experience, any files with special characters in their name (%!& etc) stopped working.

They files did transfer over to S3, but S3 renamed them slightly, by replacing the special characters that aren't allowed on aws.

As a result, on the front end interface of my site, those renamed files no longer worked, as the path was now very slightly different on S3 because of the forced name change. 

This was quite some time ago, but I am now exploring moving all user uploads to S3, and am wondering if the issue I described above was a known bug/glitch that has since been fixed on more recent versions? 

If not, perhaps it was due to a configuration mistake I made. But I was just following the Invision guide through each step, so I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong if that's the case. 

Only a relatively small amount of my gallery files had special characters, so it wasn't a disaster by any means. But if the same thing happened with all user uploads, it would be - so I'm very keen to make sure the same special character issue doesn't happen again. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this. 

Edited by theipsguy

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

This sounds like a job for Support Ticket®

When you get a moment, jot this down in a ticket and we'll get it sent to the developers to look at.

Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Sure, thank you! 

I was just checking here because this was early last year that the issue happened (and I manually was able to resolve it since only a relatively small amount of files were affected)... so I was more just checking if this was a known thing that had already been resolved. Guessing from your reply perhaps not though! 

Thanks again. 

Edited by theipsguy