Pages record pruning/management automation

hawksfan

Hey all,

I've been using Pages for a very long time, and about 5 years ago I began using it for a homebrewed classifieds section. Up until now, it's worked out really well for us, but I'm preparing to upgrade to 4.5.x and a key part of this isn't compatible.

In addition to having classifieds set up in Pages, I have been using the Automation Rules app to handle the following:

• members at a free group level must pay a fee per ad that they want to post
  • members at a paid subscription group level get free access to post unlimited ads
  • automatically set an expiration date based on the publish date
  • automatic cleanup of expired or hidden ads
  • automatically hide ads marked sold

There are probably a few minor things that I'm missing, but that's most of what is being handled automatically. It has worked really well, I haven't had to touch it. But with the upgrade to 4.5, I'm going to lose all of that because Automation Rules isn't compatible.

Any ideas for how I can get some of this automation back? Having to handle all of this manually was really painful, which was what made me adopt the Rules app to begin with.

Your best course of action is to develop (or have developed for you) a plugin or application that does precisely what you want it to do. The plugin you're referring too has long been abandoned, and you'd be in a far better security and maintainability posture by moving that logic into a proper extension and getting on 4.5.

Alternatively, I think there may be some classified type applications in the Marketplace to consider. You might take a look at one of those.