Error 500 after move on same host.

Black Tiger

I help a couple of  friends with their forum. Now one of them had his forum and pages, the complete site working on a domain name, so hosting part is fine.
But he needed to change the domain name. So he created the new domain name on the same hosting packages, just another public_html under the new domain name like is usual in Directadmin.

Moved all files from the old domain public_html to the other public_html, did not touch the database. Just to be sure ran the ips4.php file before, all was fine.
And ofcourse he changed his license to the new domain name.

Result: Error 500 and white page, admin page not accessible.

Did a complete DA restore from the old site, change mysql pass, same problem.

A bigger problem is that we until now only had 1 error notice in the logs, and every later time on refreshing the page, no new error notice.
The host wanted to help, but could not state any error notices.

There are a lot of error 500 threads so I had a short look around and found the possibility to create a "recovery mode" and I read this:

Changed to default theme, put site offline, cleared all cache via support tool

I have 2 questions:
1.) I would like to try to clear all cache and change to the default them first, to see if that fixes things. Where can I find this support tool?
2.) If this does not work, is there a way to make some setting so the errors are just printed on the screen too instead of only in the logs?

1.) I would like to try to clear all cache and change to the default them first, to see if that fixes things. Where can I find this support tool?

To get to the support tools if you can getinto admin CP, go to system>support>support, select "something isnt working correctly" then click next.

2.) If this does not work, is there a way to make some setting so the errors are just printed on the screen too instead of only in the logs?

You would be better to check your apache error logs, where this should be located, rather than trying to edit files to show the errors. You can switch on errors in your PHP configuration, but this is going to show you nothing more than what is being logged.

If you are still then having problems, submit a ticket and we can take a look to see if we can see whats going on for you.

if you can getinto admin CP

Unfortunately that is a no go, we only get a white screen with error 500.

You would be better to check your apache error logs,

The apache error logs are in the user environment from Directadmin, but the problem is that it's not putting in new error lines.
I have had once on a DA server also a similar situation where no errors where logged. After I enabled php logging via a .htaccess line I could finally see which errors were occuring, so that's an idea.

If you are still then having problems, submit a ticket and we can take a look to see if we can see whats going on for you.

Mike (the owner) has already done that, but your collegue with the same first name you have, only asked for the error logs. Ticket #1029132.
That won't help if no errors are logged at the moment. So if somebody could have a look would be very nice.

I will go and see if the logs presented someting new now or otherwise try the .htaccess addition to see if that helps.

Again only 1 error line for the complete day. Very odd not more errors are logged or this line is not logged more times.

[Wed Jan 30 10:40:28.321499 2019] [lsapi:error] [pid 226027:tid 139656538580736] [client 185.104.xxx.xxx:56374] [host my-site.nl] Backend fatal error: PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/u45115p40717/domains/my-site.nl/public_html/init.php on line 557\n, referer: http://my-site.nl/

So I had a look at init.php (which is a default one as far as I know) and it contains this line, which looks oke to me:

'DEV_HIDE_DEV_TOOLS'                => FALSE, // Makes IN_DEV not look like IN_DEV for the sake of doing screenshots

I took the init.php from the server and looked at it with Editpad Lite. Seems I could convert this to Unix LF, which should not be the case with php files. So I don't know how, either somebody worked with a windows editor in there, or my friends Filezilla is screwing up php files.

Anyway, I had a backup from him, so just for fun, I uploaded the index.php and init.php file (from scratch) and the site is displaying again.
So we can now go and fix cache and stuff.

It seems I might be able to fix things now.

Archived