Backing up locally

Meddysong

I'm going to have extremely limited internet for the next week but still have to do my work. Not a problem: I can install a backup of my site locally and develop some CSS, Pages etc offline, then paste them over when I'm back online.

What I don't understand is how. I would've thought it involved downloading files, importing the SQL, changing conf_global.php, and resetting the license key to be the TESTINSTALL version. This isn't working for me; my home page is an error (Something went wrong. Please try again. Error code: EX4096) and all links produce a message 'The requested URL /eab/eab/about/ was not found on this server.'

I can log into the ACP by typing the admin address into the bar but I frequently get errors, be it a message that such and such template is out of date, or

ErrorException: Method IPS\DateTime::__toString() must return a string value (4096)
#0 C:\wamp64\www\eab\applications\core\extensions\core\Dashboard\AdminNotes.php(55): IPS\IPS::errorHandler(4096, 'Method IPS\\Date...', 'C:\\wamp64\\www\\e...', 55, Array)
#1 C:\wamp64\www\eab\applications\core\modules\admin\overview\dashboard.php(59): IPS\core\extensions\core\Dashboard\_AdminNotes->getBlock()
#2 C:\wamp64\www\eab\system\Dispatcher\Controller.php(96): IPS\core\modules\admin\overview\_dashboard->manage()
#3 C:\wamp64\www\eab\system\Dispatcher\Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#4 C:\wamp64\www\eab\admin\index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#5 {main}

I've run the support tool and at its insistence downloaded a fresh copy of my suite and overwritten these local ones. Still the same problems show themselves.

I don't understand. Every few months I get the idea to do this and every few months waste hours trying to find out why it isn't working.

What am I missing? What's wrong with the approach I set out above? How are we supposed to go about setting up a local version of a live site for testing purposes?

Archived