Guest Checkout

ahc

I feel like I've seen this mentioned before, but I really think adding the ability for optional guest checkout would be greatly beneficial to any community with a marketplace.  

I constantly receive emails and website requests from guests asking how they can purchase an item as a gift for someone else, or purchase our seasonal physical products and merchandise without having to go through the registration process.  It seems like the ability is already half-way implemented, being that guests can view the store, add an item to a guest cart, view that cart, and go to the order information page all without having an account, but it will not accept payment information to move on to the order confirmation page unless they enter details to create a new account.  I'm not an expert at the work that goes into the technicality of fully integrating this into the software, but with most storefronts in this day and age allowing guest checkouts, I can only make the assumption the staff here are very capable of doing so.

I understand that enticing guests to create accounts this way is to help drive growth, but someone who only wants to make a one-time purchase as a gift, or to grab a physical item for themselves, can look at the process and consider it not worth the hassle in the end if they're only there for that one item and not to contribute to the community.  I'd rather allow them to checkout as a guest than force them to go through the steps of creating an account that will sit unused and potentially lose a sale.

If you go to AdminCP > Commerce > Payments > Settings > Checkout. you can set it so guests are not asked for a display name. Also on that page, you can set it so under certain circumstances, the customer's real name and billing address isn't required - however, some payment methods require this information.

Beyond that, the only thing they are asked for is an email address (which we need to send the order confirmation and details to) and password. So the only thing that it asks for which could be avoided is the "Password" field.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:26 PM, Mark said:

If you go to AdminCP > Commerce > Payments > Settings > Checkout. you can set it so guests are not asked for a display name. Also on that page, you can set it so under certain circumstances, the customer's real name and billing address isn't required - however, some payment methods require this information.

Beyond that, the only thing they are asked for is an email address (which we need to send the order confirmation and details to) and password. So the only thing that it asks for which could be avoided is the "Password" field.

Are you saying the password could be avoided as in potentially or can be avoided currently? I do need their billing address for PayPal related payment options, but it's seeing the password field after entering their email that makes them realize they're having to create an account, which they don't want to do.

Archived