Request: Ability to Exclude Groups from Who's Online Widget

John T Davis

Hello,

I help administer a forum that is only accessible to paid members of a professional organization. Restricting the access allows for full candor on certain sensitive subject matter.

I've had some users contact me with concerns that our Guest count as displayed on the "who's online" widget is more than 0. I've confirmed with IPS support that no guest can see anything but the login page no matter how they try to deep link into the site, so it's set up correctly. The Guest count is coming from people actively hitting the login page.

To avoid ambiguity, I would like the option to exclude the Guest group from the "Who's Online" widget. Perhaps that could be extended to exclude members of any arbitrary group?

10 hours ago, John T Davis said:

Hello,

I help administer a forum that is only accessible to paid members of a professional organization. Restricting the access allows for full candor on certain sensitive subject matter.

I've had some users contact me with concerns that our Guest count as displayed on the "who's online" widget is more than 0. I've confirmed with IPS support that no guest can see anything but the login page no matter how they try to deep link into the site, so it's set up correctly. The Guest count is coming from people actively hitting the login page.

To avoid ambiguity, I would like the option to exclude the Guest group from the "Who's Online" widget. Perhaps that could be extended to exclude members of any arbitrary group?

As a temporary fix, you could remove the Who's Online widget and use the Members widget instead and change the title to Who's Online, this will give you full control over which groups show on this list. It won't show an overall count though.

If you go this path, in the admin panel under Settings go to Applications, find "Online User List" and turn off can access this module for all use groups, that way they won't have access to the online user list page where guests will show.

1264531589_ScreenShot2018-08-21at08_20_46.thumb.png.ee2db73ba73a9ef6c0132236e1b41079.png

Top widget is the standard Who's Online, the bottom widget is the Members widget.

50534332_ScreenShot2018-08-21at08_23_37.thumb.png.5ae3143da4673f7a96b9afc3b212bd32.png

Archived