Converting to HTTPS / SSL - What to look for ?

Surendra.S

Hi All,

My server guys agreed to enable AutoSSL for my website.

So what all the things to look for before/after enabling HTTPS.

I can see below guide is helpful :

1) But please let me know if any other settings to be changed ? or any things I need to consider ?

2) I read in a discussion to enable 'serve images locally?' setting when HTTPS is enabled. Where can I find this setting ?

3) In my old posts, if I displayed images from a HTTP URL OF MY WEBSITE, what will happen to those images ? They give any error ? Do I need to modify all image paths ?

12 minutes ago, Surendra.S said:

2) I read in a discussion to enable 'serve images locally?' setting when HTTPS is enabled. Where can I find this setting ?

As with all ACP function, you can just type what you know about it in the ACP search bar and it will direct you to the setting. 

12 minutes ago, Surendra.S said:

3) In my old posts, if I displayed images from a HTTP URL OF MY WEBSITE, what will happen to those images ? They give any error ? Do I need to modify all image paths ?

Your step 2 fixes that. (You can have old files rewritten automatically through a background task)

15 hours ago, opentype said:

As with all ACP function, you can just type what you know about it in the ACP search bar and it will direct you to the setting. 

ACP Search Bar did not return any results for this.

However found this setting in ACP > System > SETTINGS > Posting.

Serve images from local server?

My main concern is that this setting 'Serve images from local server?' was not mentioned in HTTPS Guide below :

So I would like to know if any other such settings to be taken care (apart from the ones mentioned in the guide) when converting from HTTP to HTTPS ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 12:58 AM, opentype said:

Your step 2 fixes that. (You can have old files rewritten automatically through a background task)

@opentype Thank you !

1 doubt.

For example, my users till now got my forum topic links as HTTP (in their email through Feedburner).

Also we shared HTTP links in Facebook till now.

And, now lets say I converted the website to HTTPS.

If some users click on HTTP links in their email and try to visit my website, then what happens ?

Will they be automatically redirected to corresponding HTTPS links ?

(or) Do I need to add a mod_rewrite rule in my HTACCESS file to redirect any HTTP links to HTTPS ?

Archived