4.2.1 Can't Use Default Theme Editor if Using Dark Backgroun

jackflash

4.2.1 Can't Use Default Theme Editor if Using Dark Background

Unless I am doing something wrong, when you try to edit the 4.2 default skin's background to #000000 (all black), the frame of the forum will be black while the center portion of the forum remains white - perfect.

Since the center part of the forum is white, you'll have to set the Base Text Color to #000000 black (or a dark colour), otherwise you won't see the post count, forum description, who started a certain post, etc. since they are against a white background.

However, because you've set the Base Text Color to #000000 (black), now you won't see who started a post, the breadcrum navigation, unread content link, mark site as read link, etc. because those lie within the now #000000 black background.

Thus, it appears that one cannot use a dark background with the default skin. . .

Am I wrong here?

I don't think the Theme Editor was really thought out to use dark backgrounds. One of my users loves a black theme so I created one with the Theme Editor (I wanted to do something quick and dirty and not create a theme from scratch) but many things were off. You will have to manually overwrite a lot of the CSS.

This is something I had done in 4.1 and even back then still had plenty missing. Not sure how it will fare with 4.2. You enter this where it reads 'Add custom CSS'

/* Alert menu */
.ipsMenu_headerBar, .ipsMenu_footerBar {
  background: #171717;
}
.ipsMenu, .ipsDataList_readStatus .ipsDataItem:not(.ipsDataItem_unread):not(.ipsDataItem_selected):not(.ipsModerated) {
  background: #222222;
}

/* Alternating rows */
.ipsDataList.ipsDataList_zebra .ipsDataItem:nth-child(2n):not(.ipsDataItem_selected):not(.ipsModerated):not(.ipsDataItem_new):not(.ipsDataItem_success):not(.ipsDataItem_warning):not(.ipsDataItem_error):not(.ipsDataItem_info):not(.ipsDataItem_status) {
  background: #353535;
}

/* Widgets titles */
.ipsWidget.ipsWidget_horizontal .ipsWidget_title {
  background: #101010;
}

/* Widgets content */
.ipsBox:not(.ipsBox_transparent):not(.ipsModerated) {
  background: #202020;
}

/* Text like topic title */
.ipsType_pageTitle {
  color: #dddddd;
}

/* Post author and maybe other section heads */
.ipsType_sectionHead {
  color: #eeeeee;
}

/* Text in posts */
.ipsType_richText {
  color: #bbbbbb;
}

/* Quotes */
.ipsQuote_citation {
  background: #444444;
}
.ipsQuote {
  background: #303030;
}

/* Rep box in posts */
.ipsLikeRep {
  background: #1b1b1b;
}

Like I said the CSS above is still lacking; more changes are needed... And it was done back in 4.1 (forum only). You can use it if you want to which is the reason I am posting it. :D

You might even be better off getting a custom skin.

36 minutes ago, jackflash said:

Am I wrong here?

Nope, not wrong. I've added thousands of lines of css to the Default theme to fix issues like this. Despite having theme settings which allow you to easily modify the colours, the Default theme is very restrictive when it comes to colour schemes. Throughout the past few versions, the default css has become quite cluttered.

The ideal way to code a layout is to have one class which adds the boxes (white background, dark text), and a different class which is used for content outside those boxes (with it's own unique text colour). With that basic structure, you wouldn't have issues like this :) 

43 minutes ago, Nimdock said:

Haha, you see... Thousands... I've added like 5. :p

That's what happens when a theme expert shows up right after you say something. :D

Haha I'm sure your code works fine for solving the background/text issue. :) The other few thousand lines of mine are used to fix a multitude of hard coded font-sizes, background colours, text colours, contrast issues and alignment issues.

14 minutes ago, ehren. said:

Haha I'm sure your code works fine for solving the background/text issue. :) The other few thousand lines of mine are used to fix a multitude of hard coded font-sizes, background colours, text colours, contrast issues and alignment issues.

I've purchased your designs before.  Will do so again.

It's interesting that a simple black background change on an IPS default skin can't be accomplished ? ? ?

Archived