Styling of REST API forum content

DrumScorps

I am building a mobile application that uses the REST API to display forum content with the app. Users can view threads from my forums within the app. The REST API returns HTML for the content of each forum post. I am struggling to get this styled correctly to match what the user would see if they visited the forums from a mobile browser on their phone. I have tried linking in the stylesheets I pulled from the raw HTML of my forum and that gets me close, but the one thing I lose is the responsive/adaptive UI which is important in my case as I need the content to scale to different mobile devices.

Long story short, is there a recommended way to correctly style the HTML content returned by the REST API?

Why even create a mobile app?
IPS has good support for responsivness view. There tons of ways simple embbed a browser into a native app and use that. If you lack on speed on the browser, you will not finish it up with an mobile application as the majority of the slow loading stays the same:

• Response of server
  • Block rendering CSS (You still need to include it, and as you described, the same issue will stay)

Nevertheless, you need to provide a lot more information if you are looking for help:

1. What kind of application? Is it native Java, C++?
  2. What webbrowser are you using? Are you using a webbrowser?
  3. Did you already included the responsivness CSS which is stored differently to the normal CSS?
  4. What builder are you using?

Regards

27 minutes ago, Michael Schneider said:

Why even create a mobile app?
IPS has good support for responsivness view. There tons of ways simple embbed a browser into a native app and use that. If you lack on speed on the browser, you will not finish it up with an mobile application as the majority of the slow loading stays the same:

• Response of server
  • Block rendering CSS (You still need to include it, and as you described, the same issue will stay)

Nevertheless, you need to provide a lot more information if you are looking for help:

1. What kind of application? Is it native Java, C++?
  2. What webbrowser are you using? Are you using a webbrowser?
  3. Did you already included the responsivness CSS which is stored differently to the normal CSS?
  4. What builder are you using?

Regards

My mobile app is is more than just a forum viewer. Simply dropping a web view into my app and pointing at my site would not fulfill my use case.

To answer you questions, the app is a native app for both iOS and Android. Currently, when displaying forum content within the app, I'm using the native web view for each platform to render the forum content. As mentioned before, the REST API just provides the post content,and no styling info. I've pulled the stylesheets I could find by examining the raw HTML for a topic in my forum and and added them to the HTML I'm displaying within the app. Where can I find the responsiveness CSS you refer to? 

Archived