Pages - Last Edit Feature

joshuaj

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a plugin or way that the admins who are working with pages, can see when the last person edited the page? At a bare minimum, it would be nice to see a feature where admins working together can see who edited the page last. Ideally, it would be nice to enable this feature and require that person to put a small comment about what they edited so that all the admins are on the same page and it keeps it nice and organized.

Just a thought.

I'm also curious. In the old days if I were working on a webpage, I had a hard copy on my computer and a copy on my server. If my server went kaput, or my local computer went kaput, there was a hard copy that I could obtain and would be back in business. How does one protect one's pages working with Pages? If I don't have a cron job making hourly backups of my database, I could spend 8 hours working on pages and have a major hardware failure the next day and be SOL. Just wondering how others combat this issue.

On 4/22/2016 at 2:13 PM, joshuaj said:

How does one protect one's pages working with Pages?

I have had some bad experiences with wysiwyg blocks when the block manager on a page blew up and I lost all block content and settings.

For pages that are fairly complex and would take me a long time to even piece together what was on them, never mind actually recreate them, I occasionally do a browser Save Page As → Web Page (complete).  This at least gives me enough to remember what the page looked like and some content to cut-n-paste back into blocks.

38 minutes ago, bradl said:

For pages that are fairly complex and would take me a long time to even piece together what was on them, never mind actually recreate them, I occasionally do a browser Save Page As → Web Page (complete).  This at least gives me enough to remember what the page looked like and some content to cut-n-paste back into blocks.

Fair enough. I guess the question at this point for a website owner using IPS with Pages is, what do you want to accomplish with the system? For me, looking at it still, it's a forum software. It seems like it would be easier to use the external features of blocks, widgets, and codes to build static webpages that serve dynamic content from the system rather than build the entire site inside Pages. I'm still trying to figure out this logic with no means to save your work other than run a cron job to backup your database every single day.

Archived