About that useless "Display View Format"

action-reaction

Hello,

The classic IP.content view was just fine : a simple table, a field above an other, it was easy to re-order it. A lot of users just asked an option to hide the fields in one click, if they were empty.

In this new version, we have those colored tags called "display view format". That would be nice as a "plus", but not instead. And they don't work, anyway : try to use them with a wysiwyig field, nothing appears.

IPB developpers are good to code, but not in commerce. I mean, you cannot change everything like that, without listening to your customers.  If you want to change something, you keep the old view/options : you add, but you don't delete. You could kill a business by doing this :

• you have deleted the crossed database and that was very usefull.
  • it's no longer possible to order the blocks according to a custom field and that was essential for my dictionnary.
  • NowI discover that I can't use an other wysiwyg field...

Ok we get the abilty to set permissions per field, it's useful. But this is one step forward and three steps back. And about the colors in the display view format, why don't you keep the classic IP.content view with a table, and some colors for the rows ?

Well the rest of IPB 4.0 is nice, so I'm patient and I'll wait for the next IP.content release but there are a lot of things to improve...

Regards

Or may be should you provide a better explanation of your views ? (Or may be I'm stupid).

For instance : an other nice improvement is the ability to choose the fields per category. So now, I have to put everything in the same database with some specifics fields. It makes sense.

But why do I have to click everywhere during one month to find a way to administrate my dictionnary with that new IP.content ? You should improve your tutorials and make some videos.

And what I said about the classic template view is still valid.

Well, the rest is fine, I continue to use your scripts but you must be PRUDENT when you change something.

Regards

In this new version, we have those colored tags called "display view format". That would be nice as a "plus", but not instead.

They are an option. You can choose “no formatting” if you don’t need it. 

In addition, you can now define the HTML output of that field directly within the field settings without touching a complicated database template. That’s a nice improvement. 

it's no longer possible to order the blocks according to a custom field and that was essential for my dictionnary.

Not sure what you mean. There are still default sorting options and user-based sorting options when opening the list view. 

• NowI discover that I can't use an other wysiwyg field...

Again, not sure what you mean. I have an interview database called “7 questions” using 7 WYSIWYG editor fields. Works fine. 

And about the colors in the display view format, why don't you keep the classic IP.content view with a table, and some colors for the rows ?

The classic view was fine for a non-responsive desktop website. It didn’t work at all for mobile — the 4.0 templates do. 

Hello Ralf H, thank you for your reply.

Well...

They are an option. You can choose “no formatting” if you don’t need it. 

"No formatting" suppress the color, but the content is still displayed in a tag and not in a table below the main content field ("description"), as it was before. What do you do with that kind of "tag", if you want to use the wysiwyg editor and a long text ?

In addition, you can now define the HTML output of that field directly within the field settings without touching a complicated database template. That’s a nice improvement. 

The html output won't be in the table below the main content, but still it a tag. Would you add a table or a picture, in a tag ? I'd like to see the result (I can't upload myself currently, I use IE9 in a public library).

Not sure what you mean. There are still default sorting options and user-based sorting options when opening the list view. 

I do not see any user-based sorting option when I want to create a block : it's no longer possible to order a block according to a custom field. And it's a true problem, I would need to create a php request and I'm not familiar in POO or mysqli (ok it's a reason to learn, but I have a lot of other things to learn).

Again, not sure what you mean. I have an interview database called “7 questions” using 7 WYSIWYG editor fields. Works fine. 

An URL or a screenshot, please ? I'd like to see the result. 

The classic view was fine for a non-responsive desktop website. It didn’t work at all for mobile — the 4.0 templates do. 

That could be an argument but I'm skeptic : a simple table doesn't work fine for a moble ? 

Regards

"No formatting" suppress the color, but the content is still displayed in a tag and not in a table below the main content field ("description"), as it was before.

You can style it however you like in the custom field, which means you can also add line breaks or DIVs to make it behave like a block instead of an inline list element. 

For a truly custom view, you need to modify the templates, just as in 3.4. 

I do not see any user-based sorting option when I want to create a block

Blocks currently get a make-over. They are currently limited, yes. 

An URL or a screenshot, please ? I'd like to see the result. 

http://typography.guru/seven-questions-for/loic-sander/

Those are a individual text-fields for the questions, WYSIWYG fields for the answers and upload fields for the images.  

Okay,

I'll open a topic about the custom fields and the template. I hope the blocks will be improved as soon as possible (at least there is now an option "all categories and future", that saves a lot of time).

Your website's skin is nice, simple and clean, it looks like a blog.

Thank you for your replies Ralf H.

Regards

Archived