I am new to ip.boards, but a feature I'd like to see

Frank Jorgensen

Something I'd really like to see.

We use multiple forums on different top level domains, though they're all related and even have overlapping sub forums. It would be really great if there was some way to link these different forums, like sharing userbase, share forums and other things.

This would also give us a very strong reason to use ip.boards on all our sites, and not like now, where we have several different forum softwares.

This would of course only be relevant to people with more than one board, but it would be incredibly useful for those who have more than one board.

IPS Connect, is that a user created thing or something created by IPS?

IPS Connect is an official product / project from IPS. You can read more on how to use it, and what it is all about.

A snippet from the docs:

IPS Connect provides a simple solution for any application to to implement single sign-on (SSO) with other IPS Connect compatible applications.

In an IPS Connect network, there will be one "master" application and any number of "slave" applications.

The IPS Community Suite (versions 3.4 and above), can serve as either a master or a slave in an IPS Connect network.

This article will show you how to connect two IPS Community Suite installations using IPS Connect.

--

I know you can already link forums by simply making a static link. But I'd like to see something that could show the amounts of posts in the forum and if there's new posts in it, without having to go to the other forum.

Okay, so that's an interesting question. You can get stats and such via the SSI scripts that are included in the download (under /Tools/ssi.php and /Tools/ssi_templates) However, those really are good for using it outside of IPB. I can't speak for the best way of doing that within an existing system... somebody else might though :)

You should be able to grab the number of posts / topics, the last topic information (author, time, title, etc.)... but I don't think getting new / unread topics would be too feasible.

You can, it just isn't automatic.

Since cookies cannot be read across domains, this means the two applications must be on the same domain, or your slave application must be on a subdomain of the domain the master application is on.
If this is not possible, you can still use IPS Connect, but automatic login will not be available.

Basically, you cannot read nor set cookies on a different domain than you're currently on. This is security limitation, and has / will always be like this. Basically what would happen instead would be, if the user is logged in on the master (domainA.com) and goes to the slave (domainB.com), they'll need to login there too. However, their login credentials, account info, etc, will be sync'd across the network.

Thanks for the information. Its not really important for us if users are automatically logged in, only that they don't have to create X amount of accounts and that they can just create a single login and it will work on any of our forum.

This will be a powerful argument for us to change all our forums to IP.Boards

We used to use vb boards, but they've become worse and worse. I don't really like xenforo, making ip.boards a really good route for us.

You can, it just isn't automatic.

Basically, you cannot read nor set cookies on a different domain than you're currently on. This is security limitation, and has / will always be like this. Basically what would happen instead would be, if the user is logged in on the master (domainA.com) and goes to the slave (domainB.com), they'll need to login there too. However, their login credentials, account info, etc, will be sync'd across the network.

I have two different sites: a large one and a small one. What I want to do is have credentials for both sites synced.

What I want to do is have the large (large.com/forum) one be the master and the small one (small.com) be the slave. Each site is on a different server.

My questions are: What information do I place in each cookie field for the two sites?

For the I.P. Connect information, do I just take the master's URL and Key and place them into the slave's I.P. connect configuration? Do I need to take the slave's URL and Key and place that into the master site's configuration?

Archived