Boolean ANDs using Tag Searches

donrocks

It would be a very nice feature to be able to search on "tags within tags."

That is, Suppose we have an IPB Board called "Presidents of the United States"

One tag is "Born in Virginia". You click on that, and you come up with 15 Presidents (or whatever).

Then another tag is "First name is James". You click on that, and you come up with ONLY the Presidents who were born in Virginia AND are also named James.

Currently, in that situation, if you click on "First name is James" you completely lose the fact that they were also "Born in Virginia."

This is a pretty common way to narrow things down in a tag-based system, and I'm surprised it hasn't already been implemented (the logic for it is quite simple; the actual coding should be also).

Millions of other examples: "Fruits" and "Green" will give you Chardonnay grapes, Granny Smith apples, etc.

Any thoughts about this as a future enhancement?

Cheers,
Don Rockwell

It would be a very nice feature to be able to search on "tags within tags."

That is, Suppose we have an IPB Board called "Presidents of the United States"

One tag is "Born in Virginia". You click on that, and you come up with 15 Presidents (or whatever).

Then another tag is "First name is James". You click on that, and you come up with ONLY the Presidents who were born in Virginia AND are also named James.

Currently, in that situation, if you click on "First name is James" you completely lose the fact that they were also "Born in Virginia."

This is a pretty common way to narrow things down in a tag-based system, and I'm surprised it hasn't already been implemented (the logic for it is quite simple; the actual coding should be also).

Millions of other examples: "Fruits" and "Green" will give you Chardonnay grapes, Granny Smith apples, etc.

Any thoughts about this as a future enhancement?

Cheers,

Don Rockwell

This may not be proper etiquette, but I think it's such a basic feature as to be important.

Isn't it a good idea to limit a tag search, by being able to click on "tags within a subset of tagged threads" to further whittle the search down? This is down on many tagged sites.

Sorry for the bump, but it's been lost in the mix.

• 2 years later...

I cannot agree more. Full boolean search should be standard functionality of any "advanced" search.

We need to be able to search the tags not only by "OR" but also by "AND" or "NOT". For larger forums with a lot of threads this is simply a necessity to properly use the tags.

NB. I opened a (duplicate) thread about this before I read this topic %C2%A0'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Archived