Using 301 instead of 302 for IPB redirecting.

altenerg

In my SEO logs I see a LOT of 302's. Eg:
myforum.com/topic/xxx-topic-name/unread/ 302's to myforum.com/topic/xxx-topic-name/

As many of you know using a 302 redirect will cause search engine crawlers to treat the redirect as temporary so 301 redirects would be better for page ranking of the myforum.com/topic/xxx-topic-name/ URL.

Am I mistaken here? If not, how can I manually change it so that 302's become 301's? I want the main topic URLs to have all the page rank.

Will this be changed in 3.3?

In my SEO logs I see a LOT of 302's. Eg:

myforum.com/topic/xxx-topic-name/unread/ 302's to myforum.com/topic/xxx-topic-name/

As many of you know using a 302 redirect will cause search engine crawlers to treat the redirect as temporary so 301 redirects would be better for page ranking of the myforum.com/topic/xxx-topic-name/ URL.

Am I mistaken here? If not, how can I manually change it so that 302's become 301's? I want the main topic URLs to have all the page rank.

Will this be changed in 3.3?

Some redirects ARE temporary though. For instance, if you visit a topic URL with /unread, where it redirects you today may very well NOT be where it redirects you tomorrow. If you used a 301, you would be telling a search engine "this URL always should go to this URL", but the reality is, that is not true in this case.

Archived