Custom Profile Fields

Danno 61

I read a lot on the pro's and con's of using IPB for social networking. I used IPB for a number of years and then stopped simply out of frustration. My main frustration back then was having to modify almost everything. And as soon as you got everything just the way you wanted it, an upgrade would come along. :huh:

I actually took a long break, I am now back. IPB has come a very long way, and it is very impressive. Before coming back I spent at least a few hundred hours (no exaggeration) researching different technologies/platforms on the net. I investigated everything from wordpress to vbulletin. I think I went through at least 30 applications and the end result is that I am back to IPB.

In Social networking the biggest priority to me is the end user and keeping things simple, powerful, and with as few options as possible available (The more options, the more confusing it gets!!!). The next is the member list and it's search features with the ability to deliver real content.

So this is what I would love to see in the next release.

Custom User Fields (when creating or editing) with some additional features like:

• Show this field in Advanced Member Search (allow users to search this field?) Yes | No
  • Show results of this field in actual memberlist (Show this data in actual member list column section) Yes | No
  • Have a search engine that is precise and that can actually dig deep into a CPF (end user) text box for key words.
  • Name the Advanced Search in the members section to what it really is "Advanced Search"
  • Give the opportunity to turn on/off all items that currently show in Advanced Search and that show "user info" on the Actual Member Page (both sections).

I love to see how much IPB has advanced and how someone shook the room on internal round tables to get this done. Congrats to everyone on the team.

That is all for now,

Thanks,

Danno61

...In Social networking the biggest priority to me is the end user and keeping things simple, powerful, and with as few options as possible available (The more options, the more confusing it gets!!!). ...

Wow! I could not agree more, regarding social networking and everything else. Rep to you, Danno.

Wow! I could not agree more, regarding social networking and everything else. Rep to you, Danno.

Thanks Crabpaws

I think a lot of people see this as a tech world, which in reality it is about technology, the end user, and the Admins doing there job without a lot of mods.. With end users it is about simplicity, it is about the admins to be able to focus on building there board. I think IPB realizes this. On/off features may not be easy to do. But they have come a very long way.

Keep up the good work!

Archived