Feature Suggestion: Thread Publication Window

ᴡᴅツ

Sometimes I have 10 important topics ready but need to space them out 1 per week. I would like to use a feature where each topic has a publication date.

Start Date: (Choose a day and time)
End Date: (Choose a day and time) or (Choose never end)

--------

This is a nice feature for forums that have article writers. Article writers can complete the content and post all of it at once with different publication dates.

--------

I don't know if something like this already exists in the system scheduler...if it does please let me know

regards

This feature already partially exists you just have to click Advanced post options

Could you explain? I can open, close, visible, invisible, pin, unpin. I think maybe even date management exists for Announcements but not for threads or "topics" as you cool people call it. :D

I like it.
It will have to use a separate system than the moderation qeue though, otherwise moderators might "approve" a post before it's supposed to. So some kind of separate system which hides the thread from everyone that does not have permission to view hidden threads in that particular forum.

Also, "Ending Action" might be cool.

Start Date: YY/mm/DD
End Date: YY/mm/DD (Cannot be lower than Start Date)
Ending Action: (drop down)
-------
Make invisible (which should not be the same as "Soft deleting" since that member might not have permission to view soft-deleted items - not even their own items and they should be able to view their invisible topics so therefore it requires a separate system)
Delete (Soft-delete's the topic)
Lock
Automated post: _______ and lock Y/N? (A post will automatically be made in the author's name saying whatever they want to say when the topic's end time has been reached. This is good because the author can then have an automated reply which can say like "Contest is now over, results will be counted and finalized before announcing the winner". Locking should also be available to do aswell, if they so wish)
-------

A quick fix until a mod or feature does it, you can use RSS feeds and a private Wordpress installation.

I moved away from wordpress to ip.content so I could get a better integration. What I really am saddened about ip.content is its inability to properly set meta tags (marked as fixed in current version but actually the bug still existed) , keyword tagging (/tagcloud), proper sitemaps, and proper caching support. I can't think of a reason to cache a block really. What is more important is caching content. With wordpress I have sitemap generation, wp-supercache, automated metakeyword selections per inputted tags. All these little things make a big difference to the site. =)

Hopefully IP.Content gets these features in the near future as I am certain I am not the only person in need of these features (since there are all related to site performance and search engine rankings). There are people that like to use their forum along with ip.content as an article system. So this suggestion of having a "thread publication window" or "topic publication window" fits nicely into this theme.

It's great for running article packages where users can purchase a monthly subscription. After the time period, the topics are removed. I really do not want to create posts from wordpress then feed it via rss. Unnecessary clutter having it run on the backend.

Archived