New reply warning system

ZioRiP

Hi, I would like to propose a new feature for IP.Board.

I've noticed that on my old PHPbb forum the system was sending warnings in case somebody replied on a post while I was writing my reply.

Sometimes it happens that you are replying something but somebody else reply faster than you and your message is not longer up to date with the discussion.

I requested this too - [url="

[/url]

I think it's a good idea. :) I'm not a coder, but I don't think it would be too hard to code it so it uses minimal server resources. Several other forum softwares already have a similar feature actually like SMF and myBB.

A reasonable system probably checks with the server every minute at the very least. If you run a busy forum with hundreds of users, you could have dozens of people on the post screen at any one time--adding a very notable percentage of requests. There is no way of optimizing server requests beyond an extent; once they hit a certain volume, the server will simply stop responding as well.

For a small community it wouldn't make much of a difference, most likely. For large forums, when people are already taking every opportunity to complain about IPB's speed, it's probably not appropriate.

As such, it would probably make for a good modification--you just need to find someone willing to do it.

Not a good idea. On a very busy board, that could slow the board down because of the amount of resources it would chew up. Don't get me wrong, I think that'd be a cool feature, just it could cause problems.

No it wouldn't... It has to load the topic data anyway when a post is submitted which includes the number of replies. IP.Board already checks if a topic's been closed since you started your post, this would require no additional work.

Not every new feature is going to be a resource hog ;)

No it wouldn't... It has to load the topic data anyway when a post is submitted which includes the number of replies. IP.Board already checks if a topic's been closed since you started your post, this would require no additional work.

Not every new feature is going to be a resource hog ;)

I believe he's wanting it to notify you real-time, not when you submit the post to be added to the thread.

I believe he's wanting it to notify you real-time, not when you submit the post to be added to the thread.

That is not what he meant. He wrote the sentence in a way that it could be read so that someone might think that he wanted it real-time.
However, upon carefully reading what he wrote it is clear that he did not want it real-time.

He wrote "sending warnings if someone replied while I was writing my reply" = "post a warning if someone have replied to the thread during the time it took me to write the message".
Also, he wrote that phpBB has it, and they have it non-real-time.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived