Memcache and xCache same time

[quote name='yacenty' date='30 October 2009 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1256915777' post='1873481']
do You have any test results that Your recomendation is valid?
Few weeks ago I get a recomendation that both are usefull

On my local machine with no caching page generates in .15s
with gzip .14s
with xcache .12s with few less queries
with xcache, gzip and memcached .07

Memcache saves you queries your db is not so busy, and xcache saves your web server from loading too much because it pulls pages from ram, and it doesn't generates it everytime.

You can not have both enabled on conf_global.php. IP.Board will only use one them to store the cache.

And it's prioritized like this: EAccelerator > Memcached > XCache > APC > Diskcache > DB.

Not sure if XCache also cooperate directly with the PHP process when added, so you may gain something there, but IP.Board will not store its cache there.

Do you need screen shots that both of cache is used? I don't know about IPS but there are few applications that are used in that combo with big improvements.

Like i said memcached offloads database quite a lot and I have extremely busy database.

[quote name='Dhillon' date='29 October 2009 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1256846456' post='1873173']
Memcache is only beneficial on a multi server setup. On a single server you should just use xcache for php and datastore caching.

This is correct.

[quote name='m4rtin' date='01 November 2009 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1257117579' post='1874439']
You can not have both enabled on conf_global.php. IP.Board will only use one them to store the cache.

And it's prioritized like this: EAccelerator > Memcached > XCache > APC > Diskcache > DB.

Not sure if XCache also cooperate directly with the PHP process when added, so you may gain something there, but IP.Board will not store its cache there.

Using XCache DOES tie with the direct PHP process thus is not useful on a multi-server setup (Such as remote php-fastcgi server setups) and then memcache would be more beneficial

On a standard single server (Doesn't matter the ram or cpu counts) XCache would be "Faster" and would save network connections (Even local is connections) and XCache also saves DB queries.

Archived