help me optimize my new unmanaged server and speed up my ipb

Hello guys!

I just bought new server which is unmanaged. I have everything that i need to run ipb 3.0.x but everything is with default values.

So i would love to hear some tips on how to optimize apache, what modules to install, what to do with php like should i use some php accelerator... :)

Why am i asking this? Well on my previus server which was managed, page load time for portal was 0.18 sec, and now it is like 0.5-0.7sec so i would love to what ever i can to speed that up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're running cPanel, you could do a lot worse than installing the configserver plugin to manage your firewall. Although their install services are available for a fee, it's actually free software and if you're confident enough, you can install it and set it up on your own...
http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

... advice given humbly with no sense of superiority :blink:

Wow! Someone actually replied... :D Thanks K. J. K. for that link, ill check out that page! ;)

I managed to get it to run ok, mostly it was mysql optimizations.

This is how my my.cnf looks like:

This is how report of mysqltuner looks like:

Any sugestion? :D

[mysqld]

skip-bdb

key_buffer = 32M

myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M

join_buffer_size = 1M

read_buffer_size = 1M

sort_buffer_size = 2M

table_cache = 1024

tmp_table_size = 128M

max_heap_table_size = 128M

thread_cache_size = 64

interactive_timeout = 200

wait_timeout = 200

connect_timeout = 200

max_connections = 60

max_allowed_packet = 16M

max_connect_errors = 10

query_cache_limit = 1M

query_cache_size = 32M

query_cache_type = 1

old-passwords = 1

safe-show-database

log-slow-queries = /var/log/mysql_slow_queries.log

long_query_time = 2

[mysqld_safe]

open_files_limit = 8192

[mysqldump]

quick

max_allowed_packet = 16M

[myisamchk]

key_buffer = 64M

sort_buffer = 64M

read_buffer = 16M

[quote name='Patrick Shaw' date='19 October 2009 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1255981134' post='1868955']
If you're running cPanel, you could do a lot worse than installing the configserver plugin to manage your firewall. Although their install services are available for a fee, it's actually free software and if you're confident enough, you can install it and set it up on your own...
http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

... advice given humbly with no sense of superiority :blink:

Hmm not sure i understand. :) You are giving me an adivce to install csf? :) Or maybe i didnt understand... :D

[quote name='Patrick Shaw' date='19 October 2009 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1255981614' post='1868963']
What measures have you taken to harden up your PHP?

Hmmm... Installed apc? :huh: We tried with memcache. But, there is a page "apc.php" that you can put on your server so it shows apc stats, also we found memcache.php page but it was always showing like 99,9% free and 0,01% was cached... :huh: What i want to say is that we didnt know if memcache was working at all... :(

[quote name='theGaVrA' date='19 October 2009 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1255982034' post='1868970']
Hmm not sure i understand. :) You are giving me an adivce to install csf? :) Or maybe i didnt understand... :D

Well, I'm assuming you want to get your server tuned up in general... and that includes rock solid security to keep out unwanted spiders and scrapers, which hog resources, sometimes badly. If you've just got yourself an UNMANAGED server, PHP will be set to all it's default values i.e. wide open to attack, back door placements, this that and the other... you need to close up the cracks immediately. Apache/Linux comes with it's own firewall built in and configserver's plugin is a nice addition to your server as a graphical interface and automated system to detect attacks and block them. It also downloads things like the Spamhaus lists so it's up to date on the latest threats. You can just set it up and forget it... I went online with my server without the firewall switched on to see what would happen. Thousands of bots online, all of them bad bots. Getting your firewall set up nicely is key to saving your resources for those that deserve it i.e. your real human visitors.

[quote name='theGaVrA' date='19 October 2009 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1255982034' post='1868970']
Hmmm... Installed apc? :huh: We tried with memcache. But, there is a page "apc.php" that you can put on your server so it shows apc stats, also we found memcache.php page but it was always showing like 99,9% free and 0,01% was cached... :huh: What i want to say is that we didnt know if memcache was working at all... :(

As I alluded to above, at this time I'm more concerned that you're running a default PHP set up... do some Googling for 'Harden PHP' and you'll see lots of advice and tutorials.
Look at it like this: Put the plug in the plug hole before filling the bath with water.

Archived