IPB 3.0 RC fresh install or upgrade?

Ramonopoly

Hello everybody!

I'm since a couple days customer of Invision Power and I would like to know what's better:

- Fresh install of the IPB 3.0 RC
or
- Install 2.3.6 and upgrade that one to 3.0

Don't know if it will be any difference since 2.3.6 has other mapping etc.

Edit: I also got the Blog and Gallery, is it also possible to install those onto the 3.0 RC?

Hopefully a Invision Veteran can advise me what's best :D

Regards!

I understand, only the thing is on the moment I am just preparing my forum, doesn't really need to be active in the upcoming weeks. And when I see the files/mapping of 2.3.6 I see it's alot different than that from 3.0. On one hand if you say 3.0 is very buggy, then it could be good to wait, but on the other hand, if I install 2.3.6 now, I got to delete the maps of 2.3 that aren't needed or are mapped different in 3.0.

I will think about what to do, thanks for the suggestions! :thumbsup:

If you can wait, I would wait til atleast 3.0.0 RC2 or RC3 or even a PF or Final version of 3.0.0 before using it.

The upgrade guide will obviously be updated for upgrading from 2.3.6 to 3.0.0 and it shouldnt be all that hard either. :)

I would do a fresh install on a new database and import over the essential parts of your old database.
This is what worked for me & I've noticed no problems afterwards, beyond for the slow loading css/template editor.

[quote name='Bain' date='17 May 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1242613070' post='1802946']
I would do a fresh install on a new database and import over the essential parts of your old database.
This is what worked for me & I've noticed no problems afterwards, beyond for the slow loading css/template editor.

That's no problem, as I'm a new customer I didn't install the board yet so no old database :P

[quote name='PZiggy' date='17 May 2009 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1242613332' post='1802947']
Bain, What are the essential parts of the database? could you list them. I would be very helpful for me anyways.

sorry if i am hijacking this thread, just thought it be helpful

Everything in the database is essential. In almost every case I've come across where someone tries to just take out parts of their database, they end up corrupting it and have to start everything over. It's not worth it, just use all of the tables that are already existing.

Archived