Issues with ownership when uploading

Guest Tim77

Here's the issue that I am guessing everyone has and maybe only some know or even care about.

When uploading a file as an attachment in a post or to a gallery (or any other php script for that matter) the file that is uploaded is chown'd as "nobody". I am a hosting provider and have a number of IPB's running on the server. For me this is a problem, for the customer its wonderful. What this means is that when the users quota shows they are using 5gigs of space they are actually using much more.

I ran the following command for each account on the servers,

chown -R [account] /home/[account]/public_html

The results were amazing!!! I found that I had a number of customers that were actually way over their alotted quotas!

My question is, how could I create/run a CRON job that would run that command as root for each account once a day or force the ownership of uploaded files to be accurate?

CENTOS Enterprise 4.7 w/ cPanel 11.23.6-R27698
Apache/1.3.37 PHP 4.4.7

I'm sure other hosting providers can see the problem here. I suggest you try this on your own forums or galleries and see the results for yourself.

On my 2 hosts (1 Shared, 1 Reseller) that doesn't happen. Also, on my personal webserver here at home (CentOS 5.x with Webmin/Virtualmin), it doesn't happen either. All files are correctly identified as belonging to the account owner. I've installed and removed IPB several times on each, for testing purposes. (My live Forum is on my Shared account, and it's fine. I just now re-verified this.)

My Shared host uses suExec, my Reseller host and my home server does not.

This DID happen at first on the Reseller host, and when I tried to erase some of those files it wouldn't let me do so: user "root" had to do it.

I'm not sure what he changed to fix it, but it WAS fixed by his altering one setting.

THat doesn't solve your problem, I know, but does point to IPB *not* being the problem.

THat doesn't solve your problem, I know, but does point to IPB *not* being the problem.

Correct, it's an issue with php I believe. I was only trying to get some insight on fixing this. I hope someone knows what I need to change. I have looked through php.ini, httpd.conf and some others and can't seem to find an answer. Thanks for the input.

Thanks again for your help, here is the response I got...

If Apache is recompiled with the suPHP option, and suPHP is chosen as the handler (instead of DSO, etc) then the account ownerships will no longer belong to "Nobody".

Cheers,

Rick

Archived