IPB 3 should have a built in "miserable users" feature.

Guest TrixieTang

There's a Mod floating around that you can install to make annoying users go away.
It's designed to annoy them in return.

[AH23]_Miserable_Users_v1.1.zip

Not certain where it can be found, but that's its name. Looks handy.

Can you elaborate because I've never heard of this before.

basically makes your users miserable... e.g. logs them out randomly, redirects them to 404 pages and various other things to make their experience on your forum a misery.

That's the most ridiculous mod ever. I highly doubt IPS would put that into IPB, and I would seriously doubt their common sense if they did. :lol:

What would you think if it happened to you, from the unknowing user perspective? I know what I would think, "Man this forum software really sucks".

You employ the features of this Mod only on an individual basis, and only to Trolls, Morons, Idiots, etc.

Since banning such people has little effect if they are persistent, the idea is to make them THINK that the problem lies elsewhere than with them.

If you can convince them to simply go away, you win.

That's the most ridiculous mod ever. I highly doubt IPS would put that into IPB, and I would seriously doubt their common sense if they did. :lol:

What would you think if it happened to you, from the unknowing user perspective? I know what I would think, "Man this forum software really sucks".

yh i get you

ide personally not even bother with it
because basically if you have people acting an ass on the site
you have a "warning" feature available....so use it

if they act an ass you can pre warn
then warn etc
until they are banned and they will no longer be on the site
obviously they can change their IP which is the only downside.

the only idea i like about the miserable users is that it can cause them problems
but with that said
they can go round telling other people not to bother with your site because for in stance "it shows them 404 page errors"

when i hear that
it reminds me of Myspace when you get that "sorry the server is busy" error
that bugs me and ive really gone off Myspace now because of it
so installing that mod could do have the same effect on your site

I think the only improvement that could really be made is that a ban cookie be set and not removed by using "clear cookies" or "logout". That alone would help deter a good number of additional trouble makers. In any case, there will never be a fool-proof way to ban in any internet application while the web remains anonymous. It is really too bad that originating mac addresses aren't passed over IP, because they'd be quit the killer ban tool for everything.

Maybe incorporating such a feature by default would reduce the professionalism of IP.Board.

:thumbsup:

This is exactly the first thing I thought of. Whether it would be useful or not to some people, this is definitely one of those "features" that should remain a mod in my eyes. It's not the stuff professional software is made of, to me.

:thumbsup:

This is exactly the first thing I thought of. Whether it would be useful or not to some people, this is definitely one of those "features" that should remain a mod in my eyes. It's not the stuff professional software is made of, to me.

Glad your thinking that way too! When software such as IP.Board incorporates functions like that by default, it starts to become 'bloatware'. It has many functions that are not vital the majority of users and makes the software look unprofessional.

IP.Boards professionalism is one of the reasons why I chose to use it over many other solutions...

I've got quite a few people on my forums that I'd like to make miserable. :-)

I'd LOVE this as a feature.

its available as a mod now.

I think the only improvement that could really be made is that a ban cookie be set and not removed by using "clear cookies" or "logout". That alone would help deter a good number of additional trouble makers. In any case, there will never be a fool-proof way to ban in any internet application while the web remains anonymous. It is really too bad that originating mac addresses aren't passed over IP, because they'd be quit the killer ban tool for everything.

a cookie wouldn't really work because all they'd have to do is clear cookies and if someone can through enough trouble of making alternate emails and spoofing ip's i'm sure they know about a cookie set in the browser.

My solution is for the ban mod send a untraceable data stream to a undisclosed location where a load of Invision assassins (ipa - Invision power assassins ) sit. the data stream with contain the users details and then an assassin should be dispatched to kill them. Problem solved imo.

a cookie wouldn't really work because all they'd have to do is clear cookies and if someone can through enough trouble of making alternate emails and spoofing ip's i'm sure they know about a cookie set in the browser.

Actually, the average problem user isn't that computer savvy. It's one thing to know how to make new email accounts. It's quite another to know how to delete cookies manually. Will it stop all ban attempts? Nah, but it will add a small amount to the enforcement that might deter problem people further and it is something fairly simple that could be added without affecting the rest of the site (or users of).

P.S. on the subject of a ban cookie, the same cookie should be applied to suspended or post privs removed users too (aka, suspended via the warn panel).

My solution is for the ban mod send a untraceable data stream to a undisclosed location where a load of Invision assassins (ipa - Invision power assassins ) sit. the data stream with contain the users details and then an assassin should be dispatched to kill them. Problem solved imo.

:lol:

if the user isn't savvy enough to change their ip then wouldn't ip banning do the same thing. and most browsers clear cookie data when you close and in the case of firefox its a case of tools > clear private data (hardly rocket science ).

I think IPA is the way forward. :ph34r:

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this one...

... apart from "Bump me up", this is the only mod I'll install on my brand new IPB 3 (when it comes out that is).

So: whoever's working on "Miserable Members" make sure you adapt it to IPB 3 ! :-D

Revisiting this one...

... apart from "Bump me up", this is the only mod I'll install on my brand new IPB 3 (when it comes out that is).

So: whoever's working on "Miserable Members" make sure you adapt it to IPB 3 ! :-D

I do not see this mod in our ACP. Better install it. ;]

Archived