New Feature Suggestions for IPB 3.0

IBTheme

[quote name='Evanescense' post='1722127' date='May 9 2008, 05:17 PM']Ooops! (another blonde moment!) LOL :lol: :P

If that pic is really you, that excuse doesn't fly! ;)

(I've never known a redhead who wasn't delighted to be so. :D )

RV

[quote name='markymids' post='1722151' date='May 9 2008, 07:31 PM']Here are the two things I would like to see most in IP.Board 3.0:

1. Topic Preview Hover via an alt/title tag (like vBulletin has) - I really think the current method of displaying when the topic was created is a bit useless to be honest. As someone else has suggested, why not just store the first 200 or so characters of the post in the topics table, to ease impact on the database? Please please please can this be considered? (with icing on top :P )

2. Improvements to the IGNORE function: If I've ignored someone I don't want to see that they have made a post... period, I don't want to be given the option of seeing their post.. I should just NOT see their post whatsoever, I also shouldn't see that they are the last poster on board view, and I also shouldn't see posts of their's that other people have quoted.. it should be similar to how the Facebook block person feature works.. you just don't see that person at all.. it's like they don't exist! :cool:

These are two features I would pay extra to have! :thumbsup:

I'd like to see a method to add limits to signatures so that people cannot have huge 800x600 images (cheesy example) in their sigs. Basically something that checks the total number of images including the dimensions, totaling them up to see if they go over a limit, of say 300x100. Though I'm not so sure about how to limit the number of lines of text that are displayed. But I would like the image limit for sigs to be added. :)

[quote name='henke37' post='1721863' date='May 8 2008, 10:29 PM']Completely reimplemented bbcode engine that doesn't use regexes.

How do you suggest it is done?
And why not use regexes? They work fine...

Personally, I went with a stack & statemachine based parser.
And if you look at the bug reports about the existing parser, you will soon realize that it has a tendency to break one thing when they fix another. It's a bunch of duct-taped together hacks. About hacks, look at the statics, most, if not all latest vulnerabilities are due to flaws in the parser.

no this is not a post for points sys LMAO. on a few posts I have seen I totaly aggree a better leveling sys for modarators. But the more I work with acp the more I am seing that the acp needs a more fine tune as to admin privies. for example I want jo to be able to reset a pass word but not be able to deleat an account seems the admin level is all er none. just would like better choices.also on a few other posts I have seen a better bbc I have a movies review forum and would like to allow blahlinkname to post trailers and only allow it in say that forum only WITH OUT having to have a blog sys, thats what profiles er for in my opinion, and I already have gallery (shrugs) but will prolly get the bloging sys later :blush:

I've been requesting this since 2002... a BUMP topics feature (I know there is a 'bump me up' modification)

... and of course, a Moderating/Reporting panel (currently I have to use the Moderator's Center modification)

[quote name='W13' post='1722704' date='May 12 2008, 05:12 PM']I've been requesting this since 2002... a BUMP topics feature (I know there is a 'bump me up' modification)

... and of course, a Moderating/Reporting panel (currently I have to use the Moderator's Center modification)

Did IPB 1 have that? I know the old invisionfree board I ran has a bump topic feature.

[quote name='Shion Sonozaki' post='1722746' date='May 12 2008, 12:37 PM']Did IPB 1 have that? I know the old invisionfree board I ran has a bump topic feature.

I don't remember. All I remember is that I used OpenBB briefly before IPB and when I found IPB it was PERFECT except the bumping was a problem with people replying "Bump" for like 8 pages in a thread making it difficult to find actual posts. (so we had to install the 'bump me up' modification eventually) ... and now after every update, that's one thing that breaks the forum and requires updating.

[quote name='Minos' post='1483732' date='May 8 2007, 09:20 PM']Is there a chance to include something like this in the user control panel:

pstimgnk2.png

Sometimes the pop-up windows are annoying, miss the enlarge in the same window.

Some suggestions I'd like to see.

1. Show how many users (Members, Guests) browsing each forum (like vB)

2. On the bottom of topic view, "X users are viewing ..." when you hover your mouse over a member's name, show the page number the member is viewing and maybe the IP as well on the tooltip.

3. A more detailed Online List, show which profile the member is viewing, etc..

4. Link to unsubsubscribe from topic in the notification emails and unsubscribe link in topic view.

More suggestions on the way. :P

A feature to CREATE a new topic at a scheduled time. This will allow you to write a topic and have it posted on the board at the specified time. I can imagine how this may be handy for a lot of boards. :thumbsup:

Just so you don't get to ahead of yourself :P
[quote name='bfarber' date='May 8 2008, 09:19 AM']Some notes regarding comments

1) Firstly, if you have feature suggestions, please post those in a separate topic. :) It gets difficult to find out individual feature suggestions in a 10+ page topic when they're scattered throughout. Just a friendly request for our sanity (our = developers)

[quote name='Invisionrocks' post='1726261' date='May 26 2008, 01:38 PM']Some suggestions I'd like to see.

1. Show how many users (Members, Guests) browsing each forum (like vB)

2. On the bottom of topic view, "X users are viewing ..." when you hover your mouse over a member's name, show the page number the member is viewing and maybe the IP as well on the tooltip.

3. A more detailed Online List, show which profile the member is viewing, etc..

4. Link to unsubsubscribe from topic in the notification emails and unsubscribe link in topic view.

[quote name='Invisionrocks' post='1726272' date='May 26 2008, 02:02 PM']
Also a feature to merge members.

[quote name='Invisionrocks' post='1726279' date='May 26 2008, 02:53 PM']
More suggestions on the way. :P

A feature to CREATE a new topic at a scheduled time. This will allow you to write a topic and have it posted on the board at the specified time. I can imagine how this may be handy for a lot of boards. :thumbsup:

Id like to see IP restrictions added to the ACP.

So people who have access to the ACP have to do it from a certain IP address but the feature can be used or not used as i appreciate not everyone has static IP's.

This would bring a great deal of extra security. Sorry if this has already been suggested.

[quote name='markymids' post='1722151' date='May 9 2008, 08:31 PM']2. Improvements to the IGNORE function: If I've ignored someone I don't want to see that they have made a post... period, I don't want to be given the option of seeing their post.. I should just NOT see their post whatsoever, I also shouldn't see that they are the last poster on board view, and I also shouldn't see posts of their's that other people have quoted.. it should be similar to how the Facebook block person feature works.. you just don't see that person at all.. it's like they don't exist! :cool:
Please, oh please add this. I ignore users for a reason, I don't want to see them at all.

Archived