Utilising dual drives

Guest JanetGeorge

As my old server is dying under the load, I've just invested in a
Conroe 3040 Dual Core 1.86GHz with 4 GB RAM and 2x 250GB SATA Drive
RedHat Enterprise Linux 5

Having never dealt with 2 drives before, I'm wondering about the optimum way to use them to improve performance.

My primary site has a very busy IPB forum - 200 users online most times - currently the database is about 1.2 GB

In addition I have a dozen small sites - mainly static pages.

Would I be best putting the big site on one drive and the small sites on the other? Or the database on one and the rest of IPB on the other? Or??????

Hi, as your database is so large, it might be a good idea, as you said, to use one drive specifically for that database because it will be under a higher load while constantly grabbing information from it. If it had to server PHP too, it could slow the system down, not by much but maybe a little. As for using two drives im not totally sure how to configure it o.O

Hi, as your database is so large, it might be a good idea, as you said, to use one drive specifically for that database because it will be under a higher load while constantly grabbing information from it. If it had to server PHP too, it could slow the system down, not by much but maybe a little. As for using two drives im not totally sure how to configure it o.O

Nope - neither am I. :blink: I'm hoping someone does!

Archived