Front Page Portal.

Guest Father Jack

I have hunted and searched for answers to no avail.

I'm just going to post the ticket conversation.
Obviously I'm 1st............ then Tech Support.......... in sequence.

I have 2 sites using I.P.Boards.

Both use the Front Page Portal.

However, if I wish to make changes to the presentation, within the TJNR AdminCP, I have 20 options, but within the GAB AdminCP, I have only 8

I cannot find or see where I can make these basic alterations.

As regards GAB, I want to decrease the number of articles presented on the front page, AND I want to increase the size of the window each article is presented in.

These are just two of the basic changes I want to make but am unable to do so.

Could you help me find the answers as to why the difference in options between the portal settings available on GAB and TJNR sites

It SOUNDS like a modification that's allowing all of the options in the TJNR forum but I want to make sure. :)

A modification was actually done recently on the GAB site.

The TJNR site has not been modified for quite some time...... if I recall!

It's due to the difference in versions you have. I think a lot of those settings were put on the portal by default in the new versions of IP.Board. It was possibly the 2.2.2 or 2.3.x series where those options went to pretty much default on the Portal.

So hang on Josh........

Are you saying I have absolutely no control over how the front page is presented, especially as regards GAB? - well I have 8 options!

I have no control over how many posts appear on the front page, the size etc etc....and other than the skin, I am actually at the mercy of IPB as to how my site's front page looks.

This appears to be a major step backwards.

The older version, that on TJNR, has more options and controls, yet the newer version limited.

That's not progress!

What can I do about it Josh?

[i]

Contd:[/i]

Just so you know, before the IPS recommended upgrade at GAB, (see the associated ticket #----------), I had a fully operational Front Page Portal

[b]

This new version has definitely put the handcuffs on me.[/b]

Unless something is missing and wasn't uploaded with the newer version!

It just doesn't make sense Josh!

Unfortunately yes. I think there are actual edits to some of the files that have to be made to change the settings in the newer version of IP.Board.

I'm not 100% sure of WHY these got changed but you may want to make a topic about it at

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showforum=298

. That's our feedback section that our developers do take a look at quite often. They should be able to give you a little more insight as to why it changed.

I always question my ability. I'm a carpenter, not a web programmer or developer.
I don't touch files or the database.
If it doesn't work, either hit it with a hammer, or write a ticket!
That's my thinking.

But even with my limited knowledge, it appears the newer Versions of the I.P.Boards are regressing.
We are getting less options instead of improved options, and even IPB Tech Support now concur with me!

Does anyone have any idea or suggestion, how I can put a front page together that allows me some degree of control and presentation?
I am on an IPS managed server.

Hold on, you can edit the features of the portal here AdminCP->Tools & Settings->Left Panel->Manage Portal Plugins

I know that's not a huge amount of customisation but you can still customize its look and such:

AdminCP->Look & Feel->Edit Skin->Edit Template HTML->IPB Portal

Isn't that all there has ever been as customising the portal goes? o.O

Edit: I see you found it :P

Now you are on the same page.......... :lol:
In the 'Manage Portal Plugins', I can't even re-arrange the layout (children/order - as with the main forums.)
I would like the Forums 'recent topics' to be below 'online users', then the 'calendar', then the 'external links', and finally the 'blogs'
I can't even do that.

AdminCP->Tools & Settings->System Settings->IPB Portal

v2.2.1 has 20 settings
v2.3.3, has only 8 settings.

It's a bollox!

There has to be something seriously wrong............. but I am in this forum at the behest of Tech Support! :(

No, all the "module" settings are only accessible from within the "manage portal plugins" area. There are settings in the main settings areas, but they are hidden from view until you view the modules manager page, just like most components do. The main portal settings haven't been more than what is available in the visible settings group (at least for a long time). :)

The confusion I had was I thought I remembered it having it's own block previously (similar to login modules, etc):)

Yeah.......... fair enough.

But it's a disgrace that it's called a 'Front Page', yet a sub-forum, hidden in the bowels of a site, has more controls.

As I say, I cannot even change the size of the preview window for each article posted.
It presently stands at about 3 inches high, and if you embed a video, you can't even see the whole screen.
And because of the 'stacking', all the articles piled closely on top of each other, my front page looks like an explosion in a dominoes factory!
I want to be able to adjust the size of the preview window - in my book, it should be at least 6 to 8 inches.

In my previous post I pointed out I cannot even change the order of the plugin's running down the left side of the FP Portal.
Good God, I would have thought that's a basic requirement!

It's not good enough, unless I am really missing some point. I'm not an expert.
But Tech Support must then be missing it too.
For such a modern and well developed board, the Front Page Portal is nothing short of Medieval!

it is quite sad actually.
i wanted to create a fancy navigation menu for the portal page, but due to "one line limitation", i gave up. so my menu looks like any other site, generic.
and then NO turning on/off option. what if i only wanted to show recent posts and turn every other plugin off, you can't!!

unless you edit templates for each skin.

Sounds like you need to learn a bit of html coding. The skins for the Portal front page are pretty straight forward to customize once you get the hang of it. Have a look here at my site with what I've done using a commercial skin and then customized some of the code. By hanging around the forums here and elsewhere I've gone from not knowing a thing about customizing skins to pretty much being able to do and get what I want. It helps having a nice skin to work with as a foundation.

Changing the order of the plugins down the left hand is a doddle. Just a matter of editing csite_skeleton_template and moving things around. This template is found in the skin manager under IPB Portal.

For great looking skins head over to http://www.skinbydragonfly.com/

3DKiwi

Sounds like you need to learn a bit of html coding. The skins for the Portal front page are pretty straight forward to customize once you get the hang of it. Have a look

here at my site

with what I've done using a commercial skin and then customized some of the code. By hanging around the forums here and elsewhere I've gone from not knowing a thing about customizing skins to pretty much being able to do and get what I want. It helps having a nice skin to work with as a foundation.

Changing the order of the plugins down the left hand is a doddle. Just a matter of editing csite_skeleton_template and moving things around. This template is found in the skin manager under IPB Portal.

For great looking skins head over to

http://www.skinbydragonfly.com/

3DKiwi

I really appreciate that.
Coincidently, the research I've been doing since starting this thread, is already leading me down the exact same road you have just been detailing.

And on top of that, I bought the skins for my site, www.grumpyauldbastards.com from dragonfly over a year ago.
Kim is a pleasure to work with. I sent her a PM a couple of days ago, but it is Easter.

Thanks to your advice, I have now sussed the order of the plugins............... and it was a doodle as you said
Now I just have to suss how to add additional plugins like a box in which to write a humourus "Disclaimer" AND find out how to remove the FP window limitations.
As you can see, I have an excellent skin as a foundation. ;)

Thanks very much for your help.

Archived