Single BBCode export

Guest Digi

Brandon and I (and others on IPSB staff) we discussing what to do with bbcodes. Should we through them in a wiki? Put them as downloads? What to do.

Well, I think that download is the best option, but it has one restriction here. The only way to export bbcodes is in a one-shot, single file, way. This means that every custom bbcode you have will be exported anytime you use this tool. I'd like to see the ability to export singular bbcodes to an xml document for sharing.

The benefits to this is that we can offer a simple way for folks to install custom bbcodes via a single file download. No more cluttering the wiki with detailed instructions that are duplicated with other bbcode examples. No text files containing that same information if we use a dl manager to distribute. Whether offering for distribution (Ize or IPSB) or your admin buddy wants your cool bbcode for his own, you can simply give them a file that will import just like the large, all encompassing, dump.

The place to put this option, I'd suggest, is another link in the drop-down for each bbcode. :D

Thanks for you time :whistle:

mostly for reasons discussed in this thread: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=234336 i'm against having the bbcode entirely in xml files. I'd like to keep it back to basics simple of just having a file with all the php in it that can be uploaded to a bbcode directory and a setting in the acp to point to it. Its no more harder than digi's suggestion and i believe it's much more user friendly and easier to modify. Also as said in my other thread it'd be more resource friendly as dumping into a db would create more sql queries in the long run. All the code has to be dumped into a php eventually so why not do it from the get go? A settings area for bbcode which could use xml import export wouldn't be a bad thing and could speed things up too.

This is already available Jaggi and has been for some time. I was just asking for a way to export individually.

@Luke,

You are right, I agree that they should probably be kept in packs. Sometimes however we only want one that someone has (perhaps cause we have others). It wouldn't really be useful for a database type store (ie IPSB or IZE) cause it would take up too much space. Perhaps more suited to the "admin friend" situation I noted above. :)

Archived