Automatc MSN contact adding

Guest Mark

This only works in IE (obviously) but it's a neat little piece of javascript I came accross today and added to my own forum, and it works well, thought you might want to add it in :)

In skin bit personal_portal_main find this:

<{PRO_MSN}> <span id='pp-entry-contact-entry-msn'>{$member['_msn_name']}</span>

Change it to this:

<{PRO_MSN}> <span id='pp-entry-contact-entry-msn'><a href = "msnim:add?contact={$member['_msn_name']}">{$member['_msn_name']}</a></span>

Now when you click on an MSN address in someone elses profile, if you're using a recent version of IE and MSN Messenger, it will automatically add them to your contacts list.

Even if you don't use IE, it doesn't hurt, the link just won't do anything.
If you wanted you could use something like this instead:

<{PRO_MSN}> <span id='pp-entry-contact-entry-msn'><a href = "msnim:add?contact={$member['_msn_name']}">{$member['_msn_name']}</a></span><![endif]--><!--[if !IE]><{PRO_MSN}> <span id='pp-entry-contact-entry-msn'>{$member['_msn_name']}</span><![endif]-->

<!--[if IE]>

That would make it only clickable to IE users, and display it how it currently is for firefox/opera/etc users.

I thought it was a nifty feature - I saw it on an ad for a MSN robot and thought "that would work quite well if put on IPB" - I thought it would be a massive code, but when I saw how simple it was, I thought I'd post :)

They did have something similar to this back in like 1.3 (or 1.2). Basically for all the im clients it opened a new pop-up that allowed you to start a conversation with the person, check if they were only, and add them to your list. No idea why this was ever removed, but I'd like to see it again :)

Archived