Suggestions

Guest 2000

I have some suggestions and question if they will be implemented:

1. Threaded and hybrid views added similar to those of vBulletin.

2. Each post to include the parent message's author in format [Re: User] (like in UBB threads) and also the parent post's number [Re: User (#X)].

3. One column for posts like vBulletin.

4. More page numbers for navigation, not only 3 and an option to view all messages in a thread.

5. Larger font, Arial, for thread titles, not underlined. Different colors for visited and not visited links.

6. Reply link to each post without quoting.

7. Simple small images or text links for "reply", "quote" etc. to improve navigation and speed.

8. Clicking on usernames to show the profile directly.

9. Removing the second line under thread titles and using of overlib script to show some body content. http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/

I have some suggestions and question if they will be implemented:

1. Threaded and hybrid views added similar to those of vBulletin.

The threaded mode (assuming you mean an outline type format) is already available. Not sure exactly what you mean by "hybrid", please elaborate.

2. Each post to include the parent message's author in format [Re: User] (like in UBB threads) and also the parent post's number [Re: User (#X)].

I find this tacky and totally unnecessary.

3. One column for posts like vBulletin.

dunno what you mean here.

4. More page numbers for navigation, not only 3 and an option to view all messages in a thread.

click any place that you see "pages" and you will be given the option to choose (manually typed) a page to jump to. I don't even know where the "view all" is coming from, call me blind. I miss things sometimes :P

5. Larger font, Arial, for thread titles, not underlined. Different colors for visited and not visited links.

All of which can be controlled by CSS.

6. Reply link to each post without quoting.

What is the point of hitting reply on any post if you aren't directly quoting that person? Even then, if you are replying to them....wouldn't it be best to quote them so that people know what you are talking about?

7. Simple small images or text links for "reply", "quote" etc. to improve navigation and speed.

Can't make them?

8. Clicking on usernames to show the profile directly.

This is how it used to be, but an overwhelming populous requested the vB style system that we have now. However you could modify the skin to work in the old version yourself with relative ease.

9. Removing the second line under thread titles and using of overlib script to show some body content.

http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/

Yet another thing about vB that I find tacky and annoying.

Just posting my opinions ;)

• 9 months later...

Thanks for your replies. Because of them I chose VB for my site.

The threaded mode (assuming you mean an outline type format) is already available. Not sure exactly what you mean by "hybrid", please elaborate.

It's not the same. You can check the VB modes (there is hybrid mode there). Actually I use flat mode but with the next option below.

I find this tacky and totally unnecessary.

In my view this is the ultimate solution for flat view forums - it works like threaded and flat view in one. I don't understand why some people don't understand this.

vb1qp0.jpg

The improvement should also show the post numbers in the thread (1,2,3...), not the post ID's.

dunno what you mean here.

One column means no left column where the avatars are.

click any place that you see "pages" and you will be given the option to choose (manually typed) a page to jump to. I don't even know where the "view all" is coming from, call me blind. I miss things sometimes :P

It is inconvenient to type numbers manually. "View all" was an old option of UBBthreads.

All of which can be controlled by CSS.

I am suggesting this as default.

What is the point of hitting reply on any post if you aren't directly quoting that person? Even then, if you are replying to them....wouldn't it be best to quote them so that people know what you are talking about?

If the second suggestion above is implemented, no one will need to quote, there will be link to the parent post in each post and both their post numbers in the thread and also the author.

Can't make them?

So many things to make.

Yet another thing about vB that I find tacky and annoying.

This can be made as an option.

Why do you want IPB to add Vbulletin features, and make IPB look like Vbulletin, the major of IPB users would use Vbulletin if thats what they wanted.

Yes, I use VB now.

Clearly some general features can't hurt, but I will always support a IPB spin to the feature to make it our own.

There are some universal forum features that should be the same in all forums.

Thanks for your replies. Because of them I chose VB for my site.

It's not the same. You can check the VB modes (there is hybrid mode there). Actually I use flat mode but with the next option below.

In my view this is the ultimate solution for flat view forums - it works like threaded and flat view in one. I don't understand why some people don't understand this.

vb1qp0.jpg

[b]If the second suggestion above is implemented, no one will need to quote, there will be link to the parent post in each post and both their post numbers in the thread and also the author.

[/b]

And that causes major arguments on sites with people who don't understand the feature.. and click any reply, orginal poster then thinks they are responding to what they said and answers back :lol: I have used loads of forums and IPB is the best, VB isn't nice to use and looks tacky

I understood that the features would not be implemented soon and it was senseless to reply at that time.

I have another suggestion - better smilies.

What is wrong with the smileys? Invision smileys are the most "nicked" for msn :lol: so they can't be bad

OverLib would drive me psycho. It reminds me of the annoying little smart text ads.

As to the "helps user know what they are clicking" comment, if you design a site so that you need this for users you need to go back to the drawing board.

I REALLY hate those annoying little text label pop-ups. REALLY hate them.

Archived