Expired renewal

Guest ckoebke

Hello ,

i have purchased IPG long time ago and payed normaly the renewal. This year i hold back the renewal, because the 2.2.x line had too many bugs.

But now i dont see that i ever purchased it, nor i get the BUGFIX releases. I can understand that, if a customer doesnt pay the renewal, he dont get newer major releases and no phone, ticket, forumsupport from ips. But why the hell we dont get bugfix releases or security releases?

Best regards,

Carsten

Hello,

There have been no recent bug fix releases for IPG 2.0 - the last one was released

May 4th, 2006

I ask in generel, and if you read the anouncment in the news it says:

IP.Gallery Bugs Fixed

Quoting
Users cannot upload movies from My Controls
"Email notifications" checkbox present on fast reply form
Category comment/image counting
Images posted in forum
Space missing when moving images
Custom BBcode not parsed
Template Error
Top Rated Images

ok i will try to explain it a bit more.

1 license with 1 year support / updates

Started with 2.0 (or ipb 2.1, idm 1.0 blog 1.x whaytever)

Invision releases in the middle of the 1 year support/ update license a new version 15.5.0 . Customer has the rights to install / use new version.

Then the supportyear is over, and Invision releases a bugfix release 15.5.6, with a mix of security bug fixes and broken function bug fixes.
The customer has no chance to get it...

And its no matter for to pay the renewals, the software is normaly worth the money. I was just a bit disapointed about the huge amount of bugs in the last version that i waited with the renewal until the bugs are fixed.

I'm afraid as per the license agreement, if you do not renew your license you lose access to upgrades. That includes ALL upgrades (including bug fix releases).

We will, however, release security patches publicly, and you do not require an active license to obtain those.

From the license site:

...the renewal includes upgrades...

a upgrade is for me 2.0 -> 2.1

a update like ipg 2.1.2 (if you have 2.11) is only a bugfix release (no new functions / features).

Sowahat if you have 2.1.1 installed but have no active "renewal", "license" or waht ever it is called.

btw, the only package with a new feature / function is the blog.

From the license site:

a upgrade is for me 2.0 -> 2.1

a update like ipg 2.1.2 (if you have 2.11) is only a bugfix release (no new functions / features).

Sowahat if you have 2.1.1 installed but have no active "renewal", "license" or waht ever it is called.

btw, the only package with a new feature / function is the blog.

An upgrade actually includes the following

2.0.x -> 2.0.x+1

or

2.1.x -> 2.1.x + 1

or 2.2.x -> 2.2.x+1

In other words, if there is a "new" version which increases the version number, even if it fixes bugs its an upgrade and you need a current license in order to download ALL UPGRADES.

All of which doesn't matter if you don't renew your license. You receive upgrades (all upgrades including full version and bug fix releases) until your current license expires. That is exactly what is stated in the license agreement. Cutting it off to only display what you need for your side of the argument does not change the license agreement. ;)

All of which doesn't matter if you don't renew your license. You receive upgrades (all upgrades including full version and bug fix releases) until your current license expires. That is exactly what is stated in the license agreement. Cutting it off to only display what you need for your side of the argument does not change the license agreement. ;)

Exactly.

The user I thought was trying to say "an upgrade to me" "means the following..." which is sort of funny, since it only matters what IPS thinks an upgrade/update is (w00t)

dont get me wrong. i paid and i will pay any renewal. it was just a plain question. for me updates != upgrades, thats all.

That is fine that you have an opinion on what is a "upgrade", but unfortunately for you, IPS has adopted that all updates, whether a minor or major release, is an upgrade, update, change, whatever you want to call it. I don't see how it isn't fair, especially since they release the important updates to expired customers....the security patches. That, in my opinion, is the only thing anyone with an expired license should be given access to.

dont get me wrong. i paid and i will pay any renewal. it was just a plain question. for me updates != upgrades, thats all.

Well your mistaken, because you pay for both upgrades and updates, and it costs $25 for 6 months of access to either of them.

This also has always been the case with IPS at least with the yearly license in many ways.

Archived