Email Ban Filters In Reverse

Guest William Warby

I run an installation of IPB on our Intranet. Due to potential sensitivity of information, we need to limit registrations to permanent internal staff, and the obvious way to do this is to limit registrations to those people who have email addresses on our domain. Currently IPB lets you block specific domains for registration, but not block all except specific domains.

I requested this through a support ticket once (before I realised it wasn't possible) and the support engineer forwarded it as a feature request but for whatever reason it didn't make it into 2.2.

I have actually implemented this as a hack by modifying two files - register.php and xmlout.php. I had to add 6 lines of code and comment out six others to make it work, so clearly it isn't a difficult feature to add. Please could this simple feature be added to a future release. It seems like an obvious feature for closed user-group implementations, and the way I have implemented it means I have to hack the files every time I perform an upgrade.

Thanks,

-William

I agree, an admin could if he wanted, only allow the main providers he wants.

i.e. ( Verizon, Road Runner, Gmail, Yahoo, hotmail, etc )

Another scenario is where the IPB is used in a closed user group environment. I work in local government and there are lots of scenarios in my line of work where forums are created and access is limited to users from a few companies, whether it's a partnership working arrangement between London boroughs, or a software house's user community where the company has just a few big clients and wants to restrict access to the domains of their client list. It's usual for filtering lists of this nature (such as firewall configs) to give you the choice of "include all except..." or "exclude all except..." so I'm kind of suprised this isn't already in the product. Anyway, hopefully it will get in there for 2.3 or maybe even a fix for 2.2.2 if I'm really lucky ;)

-William

Good idea! A more 'flexible' system would certainly be more welcome.

Perhaps being able to set up 'rules' (using RegExp maybe). This would allow much more flexibility as it would be nice to be able to, for instance, block all registrations from gmail BUT still allow fred@gmail - as fred may have been invited and deemed to be OK to join.....

Just my 2 pence worth

OR,

because of the amount of retarded bots and advertisers, how about only allowing certain email domains to sign up. 99.9% of the registered names using hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc... are valid. A way to only allow these domains and others listed would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived