Moderator CP

Guest XGhozt

It would be awesome if moderators had their own control panels, where they can view qued posts, or members currently suspended or accounts waiting for activation, etc. I realize that we can just add them as admin and limit their power, but thing is that when you have mods installed that add more things, you cant limit them. Plus, they can peek at some other things as well.

So, with a moderator control panel that is basically a downsized admin control panel, it would be simpler. Now we would be able to set some moderators as semi admin, and others as simple mods. This also helps security, if an account is hijacked they cant get into the admin panel, merely the moderator cp.

Good idea?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see this.

It could be similar to the Admin CP but for Moderators.

It'd be nice to be able to Globally View Queued Posts and Topics, as well as manage Announcements, Moderators Note would be good and even maybe some sort of Moderator Live Chat built in?

You can't do some things which would be nice, like viewing a Global List of Queued Posts/Topics.

But it's very easy to make such a list, I've made a modifiation for this at our board. You can borrow heavily from the code for 'View New Posts'.

I've also got a few hundred lines worth of extra moderation features in topic view, but I'm not sure if it's really needed for boards without moderated forums (where each post needs to be approved by a moderator before it's set to visible). The IPB developers keep repeating that they only want to introduce new features that the majority will find useful.

The inline moderation in place right now is better than a Moderator Control Panel. Also, I do believe Luke's Report Center should be integrated in with IP.Board in 3.0 as we do need something like that (and it would be nice to have it integrated into IP.Board).

I'd like to see Inline Moderation in place with a Moderator CP. The MCP would have announcement control, report handling, global viewing of queued items and maybe a chat function for staff to use. And Inline Moderation would handle what it currently does.

Weren't they going to include Luke's Report Center before he got laid off by IPS? Or am I imagining things :P

Anyway, I think it would be nice to see a Report Center in IPB 3, maybe thats why it has not been added, because they are planning it for IPB 3?

Sure, the Mod CP had some uses, but inline moderation did nearly everything the same, and is just more convenient. I don't think IPS should regress and bring it back, but rather, continue to improve upon inline moderation. ;)

I agree that IPS should enhance the inline moderation more versus focusing on making a Moderator Control Panel.

Basically everyone has stated that everything that would potentially be located in this "moderator cp" is already possible in a round-about way. But the thing is, I stated that having a separate control panel for mods only, while still keeping the "in-line" admin thing would be quite beneficial.

You see, let me make a list of things that a moderator could look forward to in an MCP:

Separate login Panel
Expanded Quick Clicks
Last 5 moderator actions
Last 5 moderator cp login attempts
last 5 warns
last 5 banned members
pm all members
pm all moderators
moderator notes
announcement from admin
mini componets
- "enable for moderator" <-- in acp
message/alert to admin visible on admin panel
quick ban
quick suspend
"watch user"
manage atachments

All of this would be separated from the admin, adding more organization and giving the moderators a feel of responsibility at the same time. While I was think about this, it could easily be made into a mod. I'd say about 4 new database tables, and a copy of the admin html files, but edited.

Hopefully that puts things into perspective for you guys.

Basically everyone has stated that everything that would potentially be located in this "moderator cp" is already possible in a round-about way. But the thing is, I stated that having a separate control panel for mods only, while still keeping the "in-line" admin thing would be quite beneficial.

You see, let me make a list of things that a moderator could look forward to in an MCP:

Separate login Panel

Expanded Quick Clicks

Last 5 moderator actions

Last 5 moderator cp login attempts

last 5 warns

last 5 banned members

pm all members

pm all moderators

moderator notes

announcement from admin

mini componets

- "enable for moderator" <-- in acp

message/alert to admin visible on admin panel

quick ban

quick suspend

"watch user"

manage atachments

All of this would be separated from the admin, adding more organization and giving the moderators a feel of responsibility at the same time. While I was think about this, it could easily be made into a mod. I'd say about 4 new database tables, and a copy of the admin html files, but edited.

Hopefully that puts things into perspective for you guys.

Moderators shouldn't be able to view Mod Logs or Mod CP Log In Notes, but otherwise good ideas.

Its helped me a few times, where mods where able to see what other mod did something in the past, to help with an argument. Also iv noticed that most just look at the actions count, and its turned into somewhat of a competition.

Its helped me a few times, where mods where able to see what other mod did something in the past, to help with an argument. Also iv noticed that most just look at the actions count, and its turned into somewhat of a competition.

How is the Moderators competing for the highest action count. It will just make them to strict.

Archived